It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
(female)

smmurphy73 HB User
what happens if a bottom tooth is extracted and not replaced

I just turned 35 and had to have the lower back right molar removed through extraction. I was told that it would need replaced and if it wasn't then I would have the tooth erupt above it and lose that one as well. I hate to have lost one tooth as well as the possiblity of losing a second but it is very expensive and I have no dental insurance. My question is should I replace the lower right back molar or not? I have been told to get an implant but the expense and the metal rod keep me from wanting to do that. A bridge results in crowns on another tooth and that seems harsh. I was told that most of your chewing is done on the 2 molars before the last tooth and I have both of them so I am wondering if it is better and less expensive to let the bottom tooth remain unreplaced and take my chances with the upper tooth. If it comes out, the extraction would be cheaper than an implant or a bridge and also it doesn't really affect chewing anyway. But the other concern is thatthe tooth in front of the bottom molar that was removed has pretty extensive filling in it and I do worry that that tooth could be lost due to an unknown reason and then I would have problems. But even then I don't know what I should do? Any help out there?

Old 11-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: what happens if a bottom tooth is extracted and not replaced

The fixed bridge using teeth on either side of the extraction site is probably the cheaper alternative - but it does require 2 good teeth be filed and crown and that can lead to needing root canals as well. It is true the upper tooth will erupt if it has nothing to rest on but it will take time - it won't happen over night but you could be setting yourself up for problems down the road if you don't replace the bottom teeth at some point. Implants are expensive and although they are not for everyone they are the best option - if you can afford it and your gums and bones are strong and healthy - if you already have perio problems I would not consider them an option. My sister lost an upper molar a couple years ago and opted not to do anything - her feeling is why throw money away on what is probably the inevitable - and she's been fine with no other problems. Basically it comes down to how important your teeth are to you and what you are willing or can resonably afford to spend - not every one feels teeth are that important when compared to other priorities in their life and others would probably mortgage their homes to have great looking teeth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread