It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
(female)

KatieBeth HB User
Can mouthwash cause sores? Confused..

So, I floss my teeth before brushing and have never felt the need to use mouthwash. When I go for my cleaning, they always give me samples of Crest pro health rinse and I decided I would try it this time. I've been using it about a week now and noticed my gums getting sore and bleeding when brushing. I thought maybe this was normal when first using it, but this morning I woke up with the corners of my mouth sore and cracked a bit. Just now brushing my teeth, I used the rinse again and a sore spot on the inside of my cheek started bleeding. I thought mouthwash was to prevent these things, but I had none of these problems before trying it so I'm quite confused. Can it have a bad reaction on some people? I searched it but got results about helping canker sores with mouthwash so I decided to try here instead

[Please do not reference search engines. Please read more about this and the other rules by clicking the "Posting Policy" above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 12-03-2008 at 06:47 PM.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Can mouthwash cause sores? Confused..

I have never tried Crest Pro health but have seen numerous posts regarding different reactions to it so maybe do a advanced search on this forum to see what others have experienced with it. Some mouth washes contain alcohol or peroxide and as such they can have a very drying affect on the mucus membranes in the mouth and around the lips - so you may want to limit their useage to only a couple times a week or try a more natural rinse like Toms. Biotine puts out a rinse that is very soothing - it is made for those that suffer with dry mouth and therefore require something quite mild and non-irritating. Stop rinsing for a few days and let your mouth heal - this is obviously too harsh for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread