It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
(female)

WorriednNervous HB User
What to expect when I get my dentures?

First of the year I am getting my dentures. I am somewhat nervous because I just do not know what the adjustment to them will be like.

I am 28 years old and my teeth have been a mess for years. I have had some issues in my past that contribute to the down fall of my teeth. Some of them my own doing and others not so much. Yesterday was the first time in years that I dared step foot in a dentist's office. Yesterday I had 4 teeth pulled in the front. This coming Friday (the 19th) I will get the last 7 pulled. After that they will put 2 fillings in 2 of my bottom molars. Then first of Jan I get impressions done for my top plate.

So my question is what is the adjustment period like for someone just getting dentures. I would appreicate and advice or suggestions.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User
Re: What to except when I get my dentures....

Getting dentures at any age is a tremendous undertaking. There are many physical and emotional things that need to come together. First off, you have already taken the biggest step and that is identifying the problem and beginning to work on the solution.

Your mouth will feel very full, the really good thing is it is an upper denture and you will adapt to it fairly quickly. (lowers take longer) It will stay in place well because of natural suction created by the palate. You are young enough that you will adapt and move on with life very well. It should look very natural and should not be an issue moving forward.

Dentures do have limitations and it will take a while to get used to the physical aspects of wearing it, over time you will be able to eat whatever you want. Most people will have no clue that your teeth are false, if you decide to tell them that is your business.

Emotionally there are many many things to deal with- the loss of a body part, the use of a prosthetic device, self esteem, body image both with the denture in and when you have it out. There seems to be a ongoing comparrison with others your age. (might be just me).

As far as pain, take the meds they give you, follow the dentists directions to the letter and go back when you think you need to be seen, do not let the pain get ahead of you and do not let the denture create sores. Get it adjusted promptly.

Feel free to ask us anything here, good luck

Sandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
Re: What to expect when I get my dentures?

I think you'll do very well. Your gums will shrink the most the first year, so make sure you get your relines. It will take a little getting use to, talking and eating. Most people do fine with the tops, and some people have a harder time with the lowers. I got a upper and lower partial around 10 years ago and looking back it was not bad.

At your age, I would start putting money away for implants maybe at a later date for the lowers. I wish I would of done that. If I had to do it all over again, I would of got all my lowers pulled and had a few implants put in, but back then implants were around as much, and didn't have the internet to find stuff out.

Don't worry about people knowing your wearing dentures, because they look so perfect, now days its hard to tell, with all the cosmetic dentristy going on , seems everyone has perfect teeth if you know what I mean. Good luck, keep us posted.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
(female)

WorriednNervous HB User
Re: What to expect when I get my dentures?

I have 4 more teeth to be pulled and then I can get the dentures. We could not do all at once because of insurance. Jan. 9th I get the last four pulled. Right now I am adjusting to not having anything up there. I went through a few days were I just felt off but I am coping. Pain wise I have been fine and do not need the meds. even though 6 were surgically removed. I will keep updated as it all progresses.

Closed Thread