It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
(female)

trigal HB User
Pain after implant/extraction?

Hello All!!

Question for those who have had extractions and implants. 10 days ago I had an extraction and implant and temp. crown all on the same day - tooth #12. No infection in the tooth and good bone structure so we were able to do it all at once. I have not had any pain in the extraction/implant area and saw my oral surgeon just a couple of days ago for a check up and he said everything looks "beautiful"....Okay well this is the problem - he says what I am feeling is normal and "should" subside in the next week "or so".

The tooth in front of the implant is sore..sore if I tap on it or if my lower tooth hits on it by accident. Kinda like the feeling of when I had braces and they were tightened...Not major pain just some discomfort that I did not have before the procedure. I also have off and on pressure sensation in the three teeth in front of the implant - epecially when I exercise. Again I am told this is not uncommon and things should settle down. Has anyone else expereinced this sort of sensation of pressure and pain in the tooth in front of an implant/extraction? The temp. is fine - contacts are perfect and not hitting on the tooth, gums look great etc....

I have had alot of bad luck with dentist over the past year of so and one toothache turned into a year of pain and root canals and crowns and just a horrible domino effect so I am very cautious when I hear, "it should be fine..give it time". I did that with a root canal and it is still sore a year later - that is another story! Like I said the implant feels fine it is the tooth in front of it that is a bit sore and the sensation of pressure off and on. Is this normal??????Thanks!!!!!TG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Pain after implant/extraction?

I would give it some more time as his advice sounds about right but if it doesn't change or improve ask him to check or lessen the contact between the temp and the other adjacent teeth. Some dentists feel it should be snug as to not allow food to catch inbetween the teeth and others feel the opposite so there is no interference with the natural but very slight mobility natural teeth have - it could be when you bite down or when the jaw is in a resting position at night when lying down the pressure of the u/l teeth meeting causes some shifting so the temp may just need some add'l room to allow this and not push on other teeth.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
(female)

trigal HB User

Thanks TL! The OS did check the contact and everything seemed good. I wear a bite gaurd at night but wonder if some things have shifted and I may need it to be adjusted - maybe I am hitting on it during the night....I am still having the pressure sensation in the 3 teeth in front of the extraction/impant and will see my implant guy tomorrow and see what he has to say. I do notice when I exercise the implant area feels a bit of pressure as well. I am worried this might be an early indication of implant failure????? It has been 2.5 weeks but maybe this is normal. My OS seemed to brush it off as something that will go away but it has not and now when I eat or drink anything hot the three teeth in front of the implant throb just a bit - not pain just some sensation and it goes away pretty fast. I hope this is not a sign of something terrible! If you have any other thoughts I really appreciate it - you seem to have had your share of dental experiences!!!! TG

Old 01-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

It does sound more like a contact issue though - pressure between other adjacent teeth causing them to be overly sensitive - your bite has changed as a result. For some this can be minor and after a few months things may settle down as your teeth and bite adjust to the change - did you mention if the implant had a temp or perm crown on it? I noticed that the perms felt much diff than the temps.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
(female)

trigal HB User

I am hoping that is what it is.....better then the implant failing!!! My dentist specializes in both crowns and neurodentistry and is wonderful with bite issues. He has been the only one to be able to get my TMD under control and spends hours, if necessary, getting things where they need to be. I was wondering if things may have moved around from the extraction and same day implant? I had the temp. put on the same day. My bite plate does feel a bit different in my mouth so maybe I need an adjustment on that as well. I dont know.....I just have had such bad luck with denistry this past year and it seems everytime I get something done I end up with more pain and additional work that needs to be done. BTW...your screen name sounds familiar from the lyme boards....I luckily have not been on there for a while and seem to have that under control! Would you be the same person? Thanks again..TG

Old 01-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't recall being on the lyme boards much but I do spend a lot of time on the tmj boards as I too have had not much luck with dentistry after meeitng one particluar dentist and developed severe musuclar problems for the past few years as a result. I guess my user name portrays how I feel most of the time - wish there was a cliff and covertible around - no way could I make it to the Grand Canyon - LOL.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
(female)

trigal HB User

Hello T.L.

Seems like you were on the right track with your assessment! The contact from the temp crown was a bit to tight to the adjacent tooth AND the temp crown was fitted a bit too high into the gum and not allowing the gum tissue to heal properly and the gum was actually growing down and around the crown and causing some pressure issues. I went directly from the extraction/impant to the placement of the temp crown and of course my gum tissue at that time was very soft and inflammed but over the course of 2.5 weeks had healed and seemed to heal down and around the temp. crown. So he took it off (had to cut it off) and some was stuck under the gum, but did put a better fitting one on that will allow for better healing and gum repair - I hope. I wonder if the crown was too tight was it pulling on the implant which could have caused the sense of pressure and mild throbbing? Just glad he found the problem and took care of it. Thanks again for your insights as they were pretty much on the mark! Be Well TG

Closed Thread