It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 01:42 AM   #1
(male)

Kulminati HB User
Jaw Problem / I hate my smile

Hi all. I'm a 22 male and am new to these forums. I wanna start off by saying that this is a wonderful website with tons of useful information and more importantly support from people from all over.

Ok, here are my problems. Everytime I smile my upper lip covers up most of my upper teeth, making it seem that I just have empty space inside my mouth and no teeth. I am assuming its because my upper jaw is too high (?) ... this also causes my face to get sort of 'squishy' or vertically abnormally small when I bite down. This further causes my upper lip to protrude out when I bite down ... thereby giving me a not too attractive look.

My second problem is that my upper teeth are also not alligned properly. The right side of the upper row seems to be higher than the left side. So when I smile big enough that my teeth can be seen, only the left side of the upper row can be seen and not the right side. Mind you, by smiling big I mean I basically have to smile unnaturally wide and high to see my teeth.

Now I do have braces (13 months so far), but they don't seem to be correcting the problem of balancing my upper teeth.

I know braces can't make my upper teeth / jaw move down so I can easily see my teeth when I smile or add any vertical length to my face. I just wanted some feedback from you guys as to what I can do to rectify this situation ... I'm really frustrated over this and have been for the last 8 years.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
(male)

Kulminati HB User
Re: Jaw Problem / I hate my smile

Anyone? I could really use some help.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

Hi....i am not sure of your age, but the braces will help in straightening your teeth. I would leave your jaw alone...layman's advice, but i would definitely talk to your dentist about crown or
tooth lengthening....they can do this with bonding as well but it does
wear out...Crown lengthening or tooth legthening will allow your top
teeth to show when you smile.....go into different dentists for a
consultation regarding your smile and the consults should always
be free...make sure you ask before you go in so you go hit up with
a bill....Karen

Old 01-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
(female)

bocmember01 HB User

You seem to have very specific concerns about your teeth and smile and should've addressed them with your orthodontist prior to commencing treatment. Sometimes, it's necessary for the orthodontist to work with an oral surgeon to achieve the results you mentioned. You need to talk to your orthodontist.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
(female)

mariavoici HB User

I can relate to being unhappy with your smile - its something that I have battled my entire life. I was born with a severe underbite and had major jaw surgery in my teens plus five years of braces to correct it for both cosmetic and functional reasons. I am not having to deal with teeth that have moved and periodontal disease. I have found that the biggest help for me regarding this has been to take good care of myself (healthy diet, exercise, sleep) and to try an work on my sense of self-esteem as I have realized that my smile and teeth will never look like I want them to.
That being said, regarding your concerns : have you really expressed your concerns to your orthodontist? Has he or she explained to you the results that are possible to be achieved through braces? I have found that I have to ask very specific questions from my dental health providers so I know what is going on and what they can do for me.
Braces straighten teeth and align the bite (how the teeth fit together) - but they cannot change the shape of the teeth. You may want to look into porcelain veneers once your braces are off to get the desired tooth shape. Beware these are very expensive - but are the closest you can get to a natural looking tooth. (My mom makes them for a living and I have seem cases of hers where smiles are transformed.)
Your concerns about the shape of your face may be more of a plastic surgery question than a dental one. Maybe your orthodontist can refer you to the right professional to help you.
In the meantime, remember to practice good dental hygiene while your braces are on (flossing daily,etc) and once you get your braces off - wear your retainers as prescribed - you dont want your teeth to move after all that time and money. And when dealing with orthodontics, my experience has shown that patience is a virtue. You may need more than 13 months to see the results you want.
Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulminati View Post
Hi all. I'm a 22 male and am new to these forums. I wanna start off by saying that this is a wonderful website with tons of useful information and more importantly support from people from all over.

Ok, here are my problems. Everytime I smile my upper lip covers up most of my upper teeth, making it seem that I just have empty space inside my mouth and no teeth. I am assuming its because my upper jaw is too high (?) ... this also causes my face to get sort of 'squishy' or vertically abnormally small when I bite down. This further causes my upper lip to protrude out when I bite down ... thereby giving me a not too attractive look.

My second problem is that my upper teeth are also not alligned properly. The right side of the upper row seems to be higher than the left side. So when I smile big enough that my teeth can be seen, only the left side of the upper row can be seen and not the right side. Mind you, by smiling big I mean I basically have to smile unnaturally wide and high to see my teeth.

Now I do have braces (13 months so far), but they don't seem to be correcting the problem of balancing my upper teeth.

I know braces can't make my upper teeth / jaw move down so I can easily see my teeth when I smile or add any vertical length to my face. I just wanted some feedback from you guys as to what I can do to rectify this situation ... I'm really frustrated over this and have been for the last 8 years.

Thank you!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
(male)

Kulminati HB User

Thank you very much. I have an appt with my orthodontist in 6 weeks. I will definitely make sure that I mention all of my concerns to her very specifically. I'm just hoping that it's not too late in the treatment to do something about it.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:54 AM   #7
(male)

smhobel HB User

Hi Kulminati
I have the EXACT same problem as you. I talked to my orthodontist about it and he told me I could get braces again which would only move my teeth down a few millimeters, or get surgery, which he advised me not to do. This was a few years ago and I did nothing about it but now its really making me unhappy.
I'm curious what your orthodontist said. Please let me know if you can.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
(male)

Kulminati HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhobel View Post
Hi Kulminati
I have the EXACT same problem as you. I talked to my orthodontist about it and he told me I could get braces again which would only move my teeth down a few millimeters, or get surgery, which he advised me not to do. This was a few years ago and I did nothing about it but now its really making me unhappy.
I'm curious what your orthodontist said. Please let me know if you can.
I'm glad I'm not the only person in the world that has this problem . My orthodontist said she's gonna change the wires of my braces so that they move my upper teeth at such an angle that they seem like they've moved down ... if that makes any sense.

I also talked to her about surgery and she advised me not to do it either. Honestly if the problem is really messing with your life, veneers is another way to go.

Let me know what you think.

-Kulminati

Old 05-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
(female)

summerday HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulminati View Post

Thank you!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
(female)

summerday HB User

Hi,
My upper jaw never grew, having an underbite, I could not show teeth when I smiled, or talked. Start saving for upper jaw surgery, insurance does not cover, save 20,000. Go to the Dental School University in your area find Oral and Maxillofacial. They brought my upper jaw forward, down, leveled with donor bone. Its painfull, three weeks. But, having cheekbones and slowing teeth 4mm when talking or smiling is so nice. I feel normal now. I can eat sandwiches without food going into nose. The bad news is after 5 months my nose cartilage dropped. So I am having it repaired next month.
As you aged, the jaw problem will look more worse, so I strongly encourage you to fix upper jaw. Also find an orthodontic that works with jaw surgery cases(Maxillofacial group can referred you to their orthodontic). Orthodontic will have to push upper front teeth back so that surgery can put them forward correcting bite.
I had a lot of people tell me not to do it, so do it for yourself and be happy. I am.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #11
(male)

antco HB User

I have this problem aswell!

4 years ago i had good teeth and what my last girlfriend said was a 'beautiful smile'. i had a pretty good social life and was always smiling. 14 years old...
but like all things i didn't know what i had till it was gone.
since then my upper jaw has somehow changed shape and now have the exact same problem you are describing.

my upper front teeth are completely hidden behind my top lip giving me what looks like a gaping black hole instead of...teeth!
its completely destroyed my social confidence and now i have lost many of the friends i once had. im also finding it hard to pronounce some words which fustrates me!
after the last year i realised something had to change. i talked to my parents about my problem which i hadnt yet openly spoke to anyone about.
and to be honest, they we're crap. they dissmissed all of it as a make believe problem when it clearly wasnt!!!

only after 6 months they realised that i was serious. i booked an appointment with an orthodontist and waited about 4 months for it.
the ortodontist finally gave me the help i needed, he told me what the problem was and how it could be solved.

this is what i can remember:
my upper jaw has not grown far enough vertically. therefore in order for the front teeth to meet the bottom teeth they have tilted slightly. thus taking off even more vertical face length.
braces may help the situation but not drastically. he advised that if i really wanted to fix the problem i would need surgery. at this point i asked about the cost, which he summed up at around £10,000. Shocker
he described a rotating and moving down of the maxilla bone in order to give me a normal looking jaw.

however! he told me that if i wanted to go ahead with surgery i would also need to go through a 12 month period of wearing braces. only after this could i get the surgery.
..the prospect of waiting another year was the last thing i wanted to hear, aswell as the HUGE price.
noticing this the doctor informed me that there was a small chance that my jaw was formed in a way that would allow surgery to be performed without the lengthy 'brace treatment'. this would also make it cheaper

im currently waiting for another appointment where i can find out if i qualify. Good luck to anyone else with this problem. i hope this helps

Last edited by antco; 09-06-2009 at 12:19 PM.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #12
(male)

smhobel HB User

My parents did the exact same thing. They were convinced I had made the entire problem up in my head like I needed therapy or something.

Anyway, Antco, it looks like I'm one step behind you. I have my first appointment with a surgeon in a few weeks so we'll see how it goes.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #13
(female)

summerday HB User

Dear Antco,

Do not push teeth forward to avoid surgery. When you push the teeth forward, the tooth's roots will pull away from bone causing the root to die. It has happened to me.

Closed Thread