It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User
Hit Tooth, Does It Turn Black?

Three days ago, I took a very bad fall - I slipped on ice, lost balance & fell on my face!!

I remember hitting my teeth pretty hard, and I bit my lip as a result. The day after, my tooth felt painful when I pressured it, however, I am very lucky to say that it does not move & it does not hurt anymore.

Being that it is my front tooth, and that's what worries me, will it turn black as a result of the fall? I made an attempt to call my dentist but he was booked and asked me to call back monday.

I dont really want to shell out the money for this visit (no insurance), partly because I was told that if there is nerve damage, it wont show up one the xray so soon. So do I wait or should I just go to the dentist now? Either way, will my tooth turn black? Has this happened to anyone? It's my front tooth so I'm scared. Or is it going to be fine? It is not moving and it doesn't hurt as I bite down....I haven't bitten into something like an apple, for instance, but I bit down on my fork and it didnt hurt....anyone have any experience with something similar?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Hit Tooth, Does It Turn Black?

If its not sore anymore and not mobile I would just pamper it a bit - no biting into anything hard for several weeks and just leave it alone and see what happens. There's nothing much a dentist could do at this point unless it was chipped or fractured in some way other than to take an xray and check the roots. If the nerve did get damaged you may start getting a tingling sensation in it - like going right up the middle of the tooth - and that may be a sign the nerve is dying and then its time to see the dentist.

You are very lucky - when I was younger I was roller skating one day - and while standing still at one point - simply lost my balance and fell first face onto the pavement and loosened my four upper front teeth - one so badly it got pushed backwards. I had to go to an oral surgeon who pulled the tooth forward and then wired all 4 teeth together - I looked terrible for 4 months and then afterward the one tooth that had been pushed back and forth - well it turned black and needed a root canal and bleaching - it looked OK but it remained slightly pushed back and I became so self-conscious about it.

Hopefully your tooth will be OK.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User

Thanks for your reply. It's day four and I am not in pain since 3 days ago. I guess I will hold off on the dentist visit. From what others have told me, I have no control in the matter and whatever happens, happens. I pray it will be fine.

I know, I've very lucky. I have very good, white teeth, straight and aligned. I am very nervous about that coming to an end, eps. because its my front tooth. Lets hope not

Old 01-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

hobby girl HB User

My daughter's tooth did turn dark after a few days, trip to dentist verified nerve damage, so he did have to cap it - turned out fine and cannot really tell the difference, but maybe yours will heal on its own! Best of luck - Hobby Girl

[Your signature has been removed. We are not to advertise, or give out any contact information as outlined in the board rules. Please click the "Posting Policy" above for more information. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 01-05-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

My sons tooth turned brown within a short time after he hit it. He was young when it happened. It became more pronounced as the years went by. It began as a slight brown and then got darker and darker till we had it removed years later. If you can afford a check, its best to do it so at least you have peace of mind and will know what you should do for it. I had a back tooth break and had I gone just a few months before to get it fixed, I waited a year to have it looked it...it could have been fixed, now I have to get it pulled. I think when it comes to teeth, its good to keep them and keep them healthy. Good Luck! Just make sure you have an excellent dentist...otherwise they may try to scare you into a worst case scenario to make money, when really you don't need any dental care.

Closed Thread