It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
(male)

enzoMAT08 HB User
when can teeth be saved

when can teeth be saved
had pain in tooth, dentist took xray and showed the tooth very dark in one area and as he said
the decay is under the gum line so he cannot do a root canal to sae it he suggests implant.
is what he is saying true....?

Old 01-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User
Re: when can teeth be saved

I am in the same boat...my lower right molar, number 30 is breaking off bit by bit..only option is try to save it which is probably not likely OR have it extracted and try to get an implant...I have many opinions from keep it, do root canals, etc to keep it even if it means having to repeat the root canal procedure again...to remove it and get an implant...right now I want to scream..I am right there with you..I am only 36 and want to end my dental nightmare already...I have multiple teeth that need crowns...I just feel so tired of this all....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Before implants dentists did whatever it took to save a tooth - and now sometimes I think they realize what a cash cow implants can be - and opt too quickly to not do what they were intitally trained to do - but that is just my opinion and from someone who had 6 implants done 15 years ago -however before I did anything I went to several different types of dentists and after each told me there was no chance of saving my front teeth - only then did I decide for implants b/c the prospect of wearing a partial did not sit well with me back then since i was only in my early 30's. Do your homework first - find out all you can about implants, both the pluses and negatives, the different types that are available, go for several consults with drs that do not know each other so their opinions will be unbiased, etc. b/c once you remove the natural tooth, there is no going back.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

I have went to an oral surgeon who made me feel bad about wanting to remove my broken tooth..I left there so discouraged...I have a dentist who feels that I should remove it...as her concern will be that I have a low chance that a root canal will be successful...I have an endo..that I went to that agreed to do the root canal and is hinting that I will need bone planing and I left there discouraged too as I think they will use me as a cash cow and the endo feels that the root canals success is low too...yet HE wants to do it. I am going to yet another oral surgeon AND possibly another endo to get even more opinions...right now I have constant pain in multiple areas of my face...I am afraid to chew for fear that I will again break a tooth...I just want this part of my life to get resolved. I am in the process of wanting to have another child...here soon and just wish that my teeth could get fixed after all these years and that I could move on with my life. I just get to the point of tears remembering life that didn't revolve around teeth. Even if I did want to fix all my teeth and go to extreme lengths...its just so expensive. I have some money set aside for everything but it will go quick as I need two teeth crowned and prob eventually 2 root canals, at least 2-3 more fillings, and the one tooth also that will either have to get a root canal and crown or an extraction and an implant....what to do? I am running out of emotional energy and guts!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I would never ever suggest to keep a tooth if you are in chronic pain - especially if one could not afford to try and save it. And some dentists, if they are not pushing implants, do sometimes go to extremes in saving teeth. But even if the rc has little chance of being successful having the tooth removed is not the end of the world. Way back when, when implants were not yet the norm or still be tested, people made due with partials and bridges and those are still viable options when a good dentist makes them. So just b/c dentists push the implants doesn't mean you have to live with your painful teeth, it means you go find another dentist who understands your situation and can still help you retain your bite and smile, if not the tooth or teeth that hurt, and not break the bank. Implants are great but until they develop one that is affordable for everyone, well then they are not for everyone.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 01-09-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Closed Thread