It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009, 05:31 AM   #1
(female)

trigal HB User
Signs of Implant Failure, Infection?

Hello All,

I had posted about my recent implant a while back but wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar expereince. I am 3.5 weeks post same day extraction/implant/temp. crown on tooth #12. No infection in the tooth, Oral Surgeon. did a CT scan prior to procedure, said all went well and sent me home with some profilactic antibiotics for 7-10 days. All looked fine one week post at my follow-up with him and my crown doc. adjusted my crown 3 weeks in and took an x-ray to confirm everything looks good. Crown was a bit too tight around the gum so he made another one for me.

Well the problem is it does not feel good and I don;t know if it is me or if I am getting the brush off from the Oral Surgeon.. but something just does not seem right. I am having off and on sensations of pressure to mild throbbing in my implant area - especailly when I go for a run. The tooth in front of the implant is a bit sore and three teeth in front of the implant get off and on pressure sensations and some slight throbbing that gets worse when I drink something hot. Did not have any of these symptoms prior to the surgery. My O.S. actually said he was not sure why I would be feeling this since everything looked okay but it is probably the way my body is healing. But now I am also having sinus pressure on the same side in my cheek and up to my nose as well as morning headaches. While I do get sinus issues now and then I NEVER had it on this side and it NEVER felt like this. He is saying no connection to the implant as it is not touching the sinus. I do not have any swelling or redness - just some a small area of redness high up in my gum that has been there from day one but neither doc has mentioned anything, no fever etc... I am wondering if this is a sign of the implant not integrating or an infection?

I am just very upset and confused as to what to do from here. I am going to see my ENT this week, but like I said I never had problems with this side of my sinus and the pressure I am expereincing in the implant and teeth in front has me concerned but not my oral surgeon. Has anyone out there had same day extraction/implant still have symptoms close to 4 weeks out? I would love to hear others experiences. Many thanks TG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Signs of Implant Failure, Infection?

The signs of an implant failing is usually redness and puffiness along the gum at the base of the implant, bone or gum recession or erosion, a recurring infection and eventually mobility. An OS or periodontist should be able to see if the implant has invaded or penetrated the sinus cavity. Your symptoms sound more like a occlusional or contact issue however as the teeth in front of the implant are being affected or "pushed" due to improper contact. The best way to determine if it is a contact issue is to have the crown removed for several days to couple weeks and see if your symptoms disappear - this will give you your answer. The dentist who performed the work may be unwilling to do this however as it often implies they have done something wrong, but an unbiased dr who just wants to resolve the problem regardless of who did what - and at the same time does not want to make things worse by making other adjustments - may find this to be the fastest and easiest way of determining if it is indeed the crown on the implant in question. Implants don't fail that often these days - but a improperly fitting prosthetic can certainly cause one to fail and along the way present a host of other symptoms that seem unrelated to the actual problem.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 01-12-2009 at 09:24 AM.

Closed Thread