It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
(female)

katiedemant HB User
when antibiotics aren't working for tooth infection

I've had an infection in my tooth for 4 days now. Today is also the 4th day I've been on penecillin. The pain is so severe, still, that I do not know what to do. Today is Saturday and no dentists are available for me. It feels like the infection has spread to my jaw. I've called different nurses and haven't gotten a clear answer. Can the infection spread while I'm on antibiotics? If the antibiotics are working, why am I still feeling so much pain? It was my understanding that no dentist would pull an infected tooth, which is why I went to the emergency room for the medication (I have good health insurance but very poor dental insurance). Should I be on different antibiotics?

Old 01-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
(female)

Becky2008 HB User
Re: when antibiotics aren't working for tooth infection

You may need a different antibiotic. Not all dental infections are created equal. The reason dentists don't like to pull an infected tooth is that infected teeth can be difficult to get numb. This does not mean that it can't be done though. It just proves to be more difficult at times. If you are having extreme swelling, troubles breathing or swallowing, or you glands are swelling, you may need to go to urgent care for a different antibiotic OR if there is an emergency dental clinic in your area that is a better option. Otherwise, get to a dentist on Monday. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
(female)

snoopy220 HB User
Re: when antibiotics aren't working for tooth infection

Did you see a dentist at all? Sounds to me you have an absess which is an infection under the gum. Wash your mouth out as mush as you can with hot salt water. You need to call your dentist by 8AM Monday morning or even leave an emergency message on their voicemail tonight. That can be deadly as the infection can pass to your heart. Infections need to be treated as an emergency.

Closed Thread