It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 04:22 AM   #1
(female)

tigger51 HB User
too young to get dentures?

Hey, I am 33 and getting so much grief from my dentist who keeps telling me I need to get a root canal(s). I have had problems all my life with "soft" teeth, and Celiacs Disease which effects enamels. He keeps telling me I am too young and save my teeth or I will regret it. Uhhh I regret all the pain and money, sot it to return a year later. and much money that I cannot afford. Is there something bad that happens if you have you get dentures at a young age. I have heard some people say your checks wll have a sick in look to them over time? Help!

[Please do not use cuss/slang words. Saying "getting so much grief" or something similar is much better. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 01-19-2009 at 10:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
(female)

Becky2008 HB User
Re: too young to get dentures?

The problem with dentures on someone so young is that you will lose bone every year. Having teeth in your jaw helps to maintain the bone and when those teeth are gone, the bone slowly disappears as well. By the time you are older, you will not have much bone left, which will make it harder for you to keep a denture in. Will you keep some of your teeth and do partials, or are you wanting to pull them all? The more teeth you can keep, the better. Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
(male)

Stevvo HB User

If you have good teeth you should look after them. But like you many people don't have good teeth. I was in that category and so it seems are you. Dentists will go to extraordinary lengths to make you keep your teeth and I don't agree with this. If your teeth aren't good I think you are better off without them. I wished I had had my teeth extracted much earlier than I did. Eventually they were taken out when I was forty. Dentures take some time to become used to as your gums heal and change shape. The extractions and the process of getting used to dentures is not nearly as bad as you think. After that I have found dentures better than having natural teeth. Much better looking and no pain. I can eat most things so I don't feel I am at any disadvantage. They are easy and cheap to maintain. I think if more people knew what well made and well fitting dentures were like they would elect to have their teeth removed at the earliest opportunity once tooth problems started. I have worn dentures for some years now and to date the shrinking of my gums has caused no problems to the functioning of my dentures. Both my parents wore dentures for most of their adult lives and found them satisfactory to the end and I expect the same will be true for me. You read a lot about people with denture problems but that has not been my experience.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
(male)

Data Bob HB User

When I was 9 years old I lost one of my front top permanent teeth.

We were playing touch football and someone tripped me and I landed, chin first, on some concrete.

The tooth popped out whole, root and all.

Today you would put the tooth in milk and take it to the dentist to have it put back in - after the dentist did a root canal on the tooth.

Back then, 1961, that was unheard of.

I got what they called a "flapper" with a false tooth attached. It was plastic plate with two thin wires attached. The wires went around my back teeth.

I found that I could pull the plate down with my tongue and I began doing that sort of like how you might twiddle your thumbs.

I broke the wires off twice and the dentist, and my mother, laid down the law - no more popping the plate up and down - period.

When I was in high school - I think it was 15 or 16, two teeth on the ringht hand side of where the tooth was missing became abscessed and had to be pulled. I've always thought that perhaps those teeth were damaged when the other one was knocked out.

I then got a partial denture with 3 teeth. It was made out of metal and had clasps which fit snugly around my back teeth.

I've had that plate since then. The teeth were broken off of it twice - once when I bit into some hard food (they were probably partially loose anyway) and when I was playing fast pitch softball. I was a pitcher and one batter hit a hard line drive right at me.

I had told the shortstop player that anything hit right at me was his problem - due to the way your pitch in fast pitch softball, you're in a very streched out position after release the ball and simply can't recover fast enough to handle a ball hit right at you - at least I couldn't.

Hence the understanding with the shortstop that I wasn't going to try to stop anything except very softly hit balls or pop ups.

Well, one batter hit a hard one at me and I wasn't able to recover or get out of the way fast enough

It hit me in the mouth and broke the teeth off the plate.

About 4 months ago, one of the clasps on the plate broke - we don't have the money to fix it or get a new one - so for now I'm missing three front teeth.

Luckily it does not show when I talk.

Hopefully I will be able to get a replacement sometime.

As too checks looking different with false teeth - near happened with me, but bear in mind I' talking about a partial not a full denture.

My teeth have gotten pretty bad over the past 20 years.

First, there is the fact that I'm unemployed (due to depression/bi-polar) and we can't afford routine care - I've had some but not enough.

Second, because of the partial - I think the clasps, over time, can damage the teeth the fit on and the teeth below them (my partial is for my 3 top front teeth) and I have fillings in most of my molars and some of the teeth have broken.

Third, I have taken an antidepressant since 1985 that causes extreme dry month.

I didn't learn until about 4 years ago that dry mouth can cause dental problems because it promotes the growth of bacteria which damage the teeth.

I now carry around a bottle of water - I have a bottle stuck in every jacket or coat I wear in the fall and winter and I keep a bottle in the car.

There is still the matter of dry month at night, when I'm asleep. I wake up most mornings feeling like someone has vacuumed every bit of moisture out of my mouth.

I've got an appointment next week with a dentist at a clinic that has a sliding scale for their fees.

Our income is so low that I only have to pay $50 per visit.

I've been told that they do not do all procedures - so they may not be able to repair or replace my partial or do crowns - but I'm hoping they can take care of 2 broken teeth, cavities, and a crown procedure which wasn't finished.

I had been seeing the same dentist, who handled my lost of that tooth when I was 9 - in 1961 - but I had to find a new dentist when he retired 4 or 5 years ago.

A dentist was recommend by a friend of my wife. I went to him and he did x-rays and decided that the first thing he would do was crown.

At the time I had a gum line cavity and a cavity in another tooth.

I now realize that the wanted to do the crown first because it would make him the most money.

He ground down the tooth and built up a base for the crown and then took an impression.

He wound up keeping my partial so that the lab would be better able to shape the crown - the tooth in question was one of the ones which the clasps fit around.

This was just before Christmas and I was worried that my missing teeth would show, at family affairs, without the partial but the dentist insisted that unless the lab had the partial. they could not make the crown correctly. So I had him keep the partial and, thankfully, I learned that the gap doesn't show when I'm talking or eating.

He had given my a price of $700 for the crown - then he started adding more and more to the cost.

I finally told him I was going to have him finish up with the crown because he keep increasing the cost and because, frankly he was a jerk.

The crown was already made but I wasn't going to pay him another $650 to install it.

The price had gone from $700 to almost a $1000 and we had already paid him right at $400

Sure, maybe I made a wrong decision given that the crown was already made, but we couldn't afford his ever increasing price - there was no way, short of putting it on a credit card that we could afford it.

I now have that tooth which has the partial buildup for a crown - it has a worn down a bit since it was done - and is basically like a missing to tooth.

I two teeth which have cracked - they were basically one big filling and the inside wall of the teeth broke and the filling came out. There is a cavity in that tooth now and I suspect it will need a root canal. It will definitely need a crown. And then there is the gum line cavity.

I have another tooth that will need a crown. It has a composite/built up "crown" - which has worn down and you can see the pin that was put in it for strength - it is a front lower tooth that does so sometimes when I talk.

At time, we could not afford a crown so the dentist built up the tooth with what I call composite material - it may have another name.

I have a front tooth that is chipped, another tooth out of which a small side filling came out ---- I think you get the idea - my mouth is a disaster area.

As I said, I don't know what the clinic can do for me but I'm hoping for the best and prepared to accept at least the filling of cavities.

A friend of my wife, Sharon, told her that she goes to a nearby dental school and the charges are very low.

We are going to contact them but Sharon's friend told her there is a one year waiting period to get started - they have so many people wanted to get into the program.

Hopefully I can get the immediate problems taken care of and can wait to get to the dental school for crowns and a new partial.

Fingers crossed.

Bob

[Do not use cuss/slang words. Please read more about this and the other rules by clicking the "Posting Policy" above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 01-24-2009 at 09:55 PM.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:18 AM   #5
(female)

Toothy73 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger51 View Post
Hey, I am 33 and getting so much grief from my dentist who keeps telling me I need to get a root canal(s). I have had problems all my life with "soft" teeth, and Celiacs Disease which effects enamels. He keeps telling me I am too young and save my teeth or I will regret it. Uhhh I regret all the pain and money, sot it to return a year later. and much money that I cannot afford. Is there something bad that happens if you have you get dentures at a young age. I have heard some people say your checks wll have a sick in look to them over time? Help!

[Please do not use cuss/slang words. Saying "getting so much grief" or something similar is much better. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]
I am the same way- nothing but constant problems with my teeth- spent so much money on my teeth that I could have paid off an entire house- seriously. And yet, everything fails, only a matter of time. 5 teeth this year have had to be pulled and these are ALL twice root-canaled, capped teeth. Each cost at least $5,000 to "save"...? And STILL my dentist and oral surgeon (and of course endodontist) tell me "SAVE YOUR TEETH AT ALL COSTS"- I truly wish I had gotten dentures long ago and saved/spent that money on things that would last- maybe it's because they would make so much less if you got dentures- not sure...:0( I have one appointment with well known dentist- to see if he will do this for me- big question: keep some roots/filed down teeth (especially the ones which already have root canals on them) or go implant route?

Old 05-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

Once the teeth are gone there is no turning back. Dentures are so hard to get a good fit. You really have to have a skilled dental lab to make them fit correctly. Plus no matter how good of fit you get the minute you put food in your mouth it will go under them and when you bite down the pain will be intense against your gums.

It is the roots of the teeth that keep the bones in the face healthy. Without them the bones begin to deteriorate and soon your face will look collapsed especially when you go without your dentures. What if you cannot get a good fit? So many think Oh I will just save the money and get them pulled only to say to themselves OH WHAT HAVE I DONE?

I have had my own teeth, a partial due to losing a tooth and now I have dental implants. I have a pretty smile yet my new smile is a very expensive smile and it is the very best available for replacement teeth. Let me share from experience there will never ever be a comfort as ones natural teeth are. My new smile doesn't hurt now when food goes under them (yes food does go under them) because the teeth rest on implants and not my gums.

Please from someone who knows. Save your teeth if at all possible. Getting them just pulled if they are savable is not the answer. Mine were not and I am still paying on my smile.

Last edited by anitak1982; 05-24-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
(female)

Toothy73 HB User

I understand what you are saying but I know so many people with dentures- both my parents and grandparents- all so happy they finally ended their war with dental problems. They are very happy with theirs- I read all these stories of faces collapsing, etc. but my parents' never did- they look great with beautiful smiles. ? I also heard that people can keep some of their roots to keep the bone from reabsorbing- they just file down the teeth and put caps on them- and can do so with or without root canals. I personally believe it would be a mistake to root canal the teeth because then the tooth bud is so much more fragile- and can fracture & abcess easily...I'll keep researching but I see many, many good cases on here of people who are so happy to finally have dentures...thanks for your post, though. It was kind of you to respond. If you had any idea of how difficult it is to have truly bad and degenerating/always abcessing/infections in teeth- having to go to the dentist all the time to have yet another procedure only to fail within a year or so- waste sooo much time, money, pain, etc. continuously, with no end in sight. My Mom hasn't seen a dentist in so long she cannot even remember- she knows she may need a bone graft one day but she's had her dentures for 38 years and her bottom denture still sits on her bone- she has no difficulty- eats apples, etc. no problem...I guess it's a personal choice of which I need to research more and talk with a few dentists/prosthodontists to truly make the best decision for me...thanks again.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:57 AM   #8
(male)

Stevvo HB User

I agree. Everyone always says "save your teeth at all costs" but they say that without really reflecting on what those costs are. If your teeth are healthy you should look after them. But what about teeth and gums that are bad? There comes a point when you don't want to save them any more because they are a source of discomfort, pain, embarrassment and cost. .In the end my mouth even tasted bad. At that stage teeth are more trouble than they are worth and should come out. But find a dentist who agrees.
All I can say it was a relief to have my teeth out and had it been my choice alone, I would have had them out years earlier that that. I acquired full dentures when I was forty.
Yes, they takes some getting used to but once that is over you should be pleased with the transition.
I always wondered about my parents and grandparents all of whom wore dentures. They did not complain. In fact they were pleased with their dentures. I soon realised they were allowed to do with their teeth what they wanted. When they wanted them out. The dentist obliged.
Over 19 years my gums have shrunk quite a lot. But my dentures are still stable and my face has not sunken in. I don't use adhesive and I don't expect to. What you do need to do is have them rebased every so often and replaced every five to ten years. I'm on my third set now and I guess I will get a new set in a couple of years time.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
(female)

Toothy73 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevvo View Post
I agree. Everyone always says "save your teeth at all costs" but they say that without really reflecting on what those costs are. If your teeth are healthy you should look after them. But what about teeth and gums that are bad? There comes a point when you don't want to save them any more because they are a source of discomfort, pain, embarrassment and cost. .In the end my mouth even tasted bad. At that stage teeth are more trouble than they are worth and should come out. But find a dentist who agrees.
All I can say it was a relief to have my teeth out and had it been my choice alone, I would have had them out years earlier that that. I acquired full dentures when I was forty.
Yes, they takes some getting used to but once that is over you should be pleased with the transition.
I always wondered about my parents and grandparents all of whom wore dentures. They did not complain. In fact they were pleased with their dentures. I soon realised they were allowed to do with their teeth what they wanted. When they wanted them out. The dentist obliged.
Over 19 years my gums have shrunk quite a lot. But my dentures are still stable and my face has not sunken in. I don't use adhesive and I don't expect to. What you do need to do is have them rebased every so often and replaced every five to ten years. I'm on my third set now and I guess I will get a new set in a couple of years time.
Thanks so much for your reply-- that is also how I feel. I don't understand the whole movement of "save the teeth" as so many people (older than me) have had dentures for so long and are happy- and have never looked back...they were tired of the pain and trauma of the dentists' chairs- needles, drills, abcesses, shots into abcesses (I've personally have had countless), etc- why on earth do all these dentists give these nightmare prognosises for having dentures- all the way to saying "your face will collapse!" what?? Your face doesnt's collapse with something over your gums- yes gums may recede but the denture makes up for that recession- and usually people look better than they did- especially if they have so many issues with tooth health- so thanks again for your reply-- I hate to say it but dentistry is a business and if people stopped getting crown after crown and root canal after root canal, how could they (dentists) make more $$- ?? One of my very good friends is a dental hygenist and although she said most of the dentists she worked for were ethical and good, it was alot about production and money- bills to pay, etc...hmm....?? Thanks again.

Last edited by Toothy73; 05-25-2009 at 02:59 PM.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

"Save your teeth at all costs" Well if dentist wouldn't charge so much maybe more people could get regular dental care and afford to save their teeth. Unfortunately most people don't make what a dentist makes ,so at all costs means different things to different people.

Some people are not blessed with healthy teeth, or parents that stressed good oral hygiene or were able to take their kids in for exams, I know we only went to the dentist when we were in pain so by the mid teens I had lost a couple molars and had fillings already.

In my opinion a person may be better off getting dentures and then saving up for a few implants for the furture. It just all depends.

I've known people that have worn dentures for years with no problems also.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #11
(female)

Toothy73 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtocamp View Post
"Save your teeth at all costs" Well if dentist wouldn't charge so much maybe more people could get regular dental care and afford to save their teeth. Unfortunately most people don't make what a dentist makes ,so at all costs means different things to different people.

Some people are not blessed with healthy teeth, or parents that stressed good oral hygiene or were able to take their kids in for exams, I know we only went to the dentist when we were in pain so by the mid teens I had lost a couple molars and had fillings already.

In my opinion a person may be better off getting dentures and then saving up for a few implants for the furture. It just all depends.

I've known people that have worn dentures for years with no problems also.
I personally have spent more than anyhing I am comfortable admitting- for instance 2 of my previously "save the teeth" teeth had had twice been root canaled (woops- dentists forget to tell you the failure rate of root canals- even when an endodontist does them!- and how unbelievably frail they are once root-canaled and just had both pulled bcs of abcesses- not un-hygeine- I brush twice per day and floss every time I eat (also woops- dentist forgot to tell me if I have caps- which I have numerous- then food gets stuck between molar caps like crazy- constant pain when I eat, especially meat products-- anyway had two twice-re-root-canaled-and-capped-molars (failed first time, too- couldn't believe they could fail twice- both!...I had spent more than $7,000 altogether on those teeth and both had to be pulled a little more than a year after the second root canal-capping...once your teeth are root-canaled they are verrrry frail and tend to fracture easily, especially molars- they NEVER tell you that, in fact many dentists don't even tell you that you are better off going to an endodontist to have a root canal (which costs twice as much)- but that the endo has no idea if his will be successful, either, as there are so many kinds of roots, some curved, etc- no one can say for certain if they got all the pulp with the painful and horrific procedure- and if they miss an ounce- BAM- back to square one...and if it cracks and gets abcessed by that, out it goes...waste of all that time, pain and money...sorry to be so negative but that situation has happened to me 5 times...:0( so close to $20,000 down the drain. Ouch. I still have half my remaining teeth capped and root canaled at least once and hopefully, those last until I make up my mind about getting dentures :0) LOL

Old 05-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
(male)

Stevvo HB User

Obviously until you have all your teeth out you do not know how well you will adapt to dentures. However, I think if you are likely to lose your teeth in any event and you start losing the bone supporting them, they should be removed as soon as possible. For most people in their 30's and 40's adapting to dentures should not be a problem. Whatever dentists say. It takes time but it soon passes.
One thing I discovered was that my health immediately improved when my teeth had been taken out. I had an immediate sense of well-being. What I had not realised (and I am not sure dentists do either) how much poor teeth and gums affect your overall health.
What scared me about dentures was not adapting to them or even losing my teeth. I looked forward to that. It was the possible problems with dentures years down the road when I could do nothing about it. I have worn dentures for the best part of 20 years now and they still work fine. My ridges have shrunk but they are still an adequate support for my dentures.
Yes, I am in that large group who have full dentures and don't regret that fact. Actually it's the opposite. My life has improved with them.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:58 PM   #13
(female)

Toothy73 HB User

Wow, thanks-- that is a bright outlook, one I truly believe is an honest and well-put response to the overall biggest questions one faces when considering taking "the plunge" of whether or not to get dentures.

I, too, believe it is a tax on my health- I've ALWAYS had infections from the neck up and now that I think about it, they may have wll stemmed from my body always fighting my teeth issues. Maybe the infections spread from there--I had tonsillitis like crazy until those were removed- tooth abcesses for as long as I can remember, rashes and acne as teen/young adult, too; excema on scalp (not sure if that is infection but it always gets worse with stress)- maybe all of it could have been avoided. I've lived a pretty healthy lifestyle- not perfect but never anything bad for my health- no drugs, alchoholism, etc. Always took good care of my teeth (except when I bleached them probably too much when I was in my 20's to bleach out the white spot stains from hypocalcification since childhood)- hmm....? I truly never thought of it like that before but when I look/think about it in that light of overall health, you hit it on the head.

People say my teeth look so pretty--why on earth would I want to yank them out?? I say, they're (mostly) all capped and if you saw under the caps, you'd understand. Also, the pain when eating- avoiding lots of different foods due to cold sensitivity- if I touch my teeth near bottom (the last few remaining natural-non-capped/root-canalled- OUCH! I tell them it's like a time bomb- only a matter of time till the next one goes and then another few thousand here, few thousand there, only to see them get yanked out in a year or so anyway..so my initial thoughts which my intuition tells me many times is to get 'em out. I'm already missing5 back teeth from this year's exractions which I didn't want to shell $$ out to fill in- as you cannot see them missing when I smile (Thank God :0).

My BIGGEST question is: should I have a few of the roots left in place (where they file them down and put magnets on them or the like- I don't like the idea of implants-- the ouch as well as the cost/likelihood of failing issues- I know they say that implants have 90% success rate but they say that about root canals, too and those never last on me so I have to assume it's the same for anything. OR, should I get em all out, and get the new "suction" type dentures which have some cool contraption that allows you to have top and bottom denture have more adhesion (I wonder if that really works?) and no need for upper palate covering...OR just get the normal kind...

Would you suggest a prosthodontist, a dentist, or one of the chain type places.?

Sorry so many questions but you are sooo kind and helpful for being so candid with your replies and advice. THANKS!!

Old 05-28-2009, 06:50 AM   #14
(female)

smadie HB User

Hi. I completely understand how you feel. I am 46 years old and have no doubt that someday all my tooth will be gone. I am a twin and have had the worst teeth my entire life. My twin never had a cavity until he was 21 and has great teeth. I think a lot of it is genetics. I just had tooth #31 pulled on Tuesday after having a crown on it which got decay underneath and couldn't be saved. I have had root canals done, the teeth crowned and then lost them after all the expense. I currently have only 1 bottom molar left. It makes me sick when I think of all the wasted money I have spent on my mouth. I go to the dentist every 6 months and still have constant problems.

My father had to have all his teeth pulled when he was 21 years old. He got drafted to go to Korea and his teeth were so bad they pulled them all and gave him dentures before he left. My father is now 79 years old and hasn't had one day of problems with his dentures. In fact, I have never seen my dad without his teeth in. They look great and he doesn't even use any adhesive to keep them in.

I used to get really depressed thinking about losing my teeth someday but life goes on and people do adjust to dentures. I can't imagine being able to chew comfortably on both sides of my mouth. Good luck! Wanda

Last edited by smadie; 05-28-2009 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old 08-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #15
(male)

Carl46 HB User

it's very refreshing to see people's experience with dentures on this site, thank you everyone. I'm 46 and I still feeling too young to have to go to such process but I had no choice. I had crowns all over my mouth years ago but could never imagine that, the roots was getting weak everyday without I notice. When the time arrived, after spending so much money trying to fix the impossible, I did some research for what they call "NATURAL DENTURES" ... I found a lab in Oregon that does a unbelievable work... since I'm in different state, I asked them for a dentist that uses their lab and I was all set. I still adjusting, not really happy with the new reality, but as many people said... it's not an arm or leg and I hope soon I will forget about it. They look natural as they can be.. the lab even asked me for pictures of my regular smile to copy it.... Still hurting, I still upset, but after reading the posts around here, I feel much better about my self and about what they future will bring. Thank you all.

-----

Btw .. if you want great results try as many dentist as you can until you find one willing to do what YOU WANT. I went to a dentist that insist to use his own lab, which is cheap for him but he can mark up a lot over... when I told him the lab that I wanted, he got all mad at me... I asked the lab, they gave me the name of the dentist that use their services and I couldn't be more pleased. If anyone wants to know the labs and dentist name, just ask me.

Last edited by Carl46; 08-30-2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: decided to add more info

Closed Thread