It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
(male)

peleke4 HB User
after root canal, food now gets stuck between molars. should dentist redo or not?

Hello everyone,

I had my first root canal procedure completed about two weeks ago. There was a total of three visits. On the final visit, a crown was cemented on.

The bite feels comfortable, but after each meal, food gets HEAVILY stuck between the crown and adjacent tooth. It appears to be an "open contact." Floss gets through quite easily with very little resistance. Whereas on other areas, resistance is needed to get that "snap" of the floss to get in between teeth.

I'm in my 30's and not once have I ever had this issue before. If food remains stuck between the crown and adjacent molar, the gums get sore and painful. Even when I floss the main portions of food out, I really have to play around with the floss to get even more remains of food out. It surprises me how much food actually gets stuck between this area of my teeth.

I visited the dentist to address this issue. He simply advised me to have floss on hand at all times all times to avoid prolonged periods of food getting stuck. He also wrote me a prescription for some oral rinse. This really is a nuisance.

Did the dentist do unsatisfactory work and just doesn't want to redo the crown? Or is there a percentage of patients where this type of issue will be there even though the dentist did a great, detailed job on the rootcanal/crown procedure? Should I let it go or request to get the crown redone? I would greatly appreciate any feedback on this.

p.s.
during the initial consultation, dentist said that I'd probably loose the tooth.. fortunately, it didn't go there. he did say that it went really "deep."

Last edited by peleke4; 01-20-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: after root canal, food now gets stuck between molars. should dentist redo or not?

There tends to be 2 different schools of thought on this with dentists - some feel the crown should have only a slight or very little contact with other teeth to allow for a tiny bit of natural mobility between teeth - which in turn does mean food will get lodged - and others feel the contact should be tight or equal to what normal teeth have. Although I am not certain if one is better than the other - what I can tell you is I had some crowns done that had very lttle contact between them and other teeth, kept a dental pick handy at all times but other than that I was fine and happy, and then when those crowns were redone when a bridge was replaced, the "new" dentist made the contact tighter and I started getting pain and discomfort and this pressure like feeling between my teeth like I had braces on - worse- he refused to lessen the contact insisting it was necessary. Personally, unless it does not look aesthetically pleasing or you can not get the debris easily disloged I would just learn to live with it but that is obviously based on my experience.

Closed Thread