It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User
Had extraction, now HORRIBLE Taste

I had an extraction of a back molar one week ago today...I still have a hole in the middle of the gum that has not healed up yet, and am wondering how long it takes to heal completely. My Oral surgeon went out of town, I had to go to another and ask him If I have some kind of infection as the taste and smell I have in my mouth is awful! I am trying to figure out why it is so strong. I am using every kind of mouthwash available, but nothing works. Is this normal? Has anyone ever had a strong, I mean REALLY strong odor from their mouth a week after an extraction? I know they used some kind of packing IN the socket that is supposed to dissolve..is that what is STILL smelling. I went to another oral surgeon and he doesn't see an infection, but he won't give me an idea WHY I have this taste? Will this hole shrink or am I stuck being this way for a long time?

Old 01-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Had extraction, now HORRIBLE Taste

The bad news is that the pit may take quite a while to heal over.

Could the smell be due to rotting food bits getting stuck in there? Oral surgeons often give syringe-like squirters to help you clean out the pits. Or, if the risk of dry socket has passed (as the oral surgeon), you can swish water vigorously after brushing your teeth to wash out any trapped food particles.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

It has been a week since the extraction..pain has been fine,but nothing could have prepared me for THIS! I had 2 dental extractions, upper back molars as a child...both healed fast and little smell...later my wisdom teeth moved in to take their old space...then a few years later I had the remainder 2 wisdom teeth removed...I was 15 years old and yes I had odor, but nothing like this latest extraction. This is ridiculous. I healed up so fast on days 1-3..then its stayed this way with this hole the last 4 days with no change. I am fine with it taking weeks to close long as the smell goes away and long as it DOES close. Makes me a bit nervous to see the hole still there and more nervous to realize that the smell is so bad. I have to go back to work in 4 more days..where I spend lots of time with people...I sit here in misery from the smell but am laughing as I KNOW I could knock people over with my breath. I hate to be vain...but geez...I mean how long before it closes? And this goes away?

Old 01-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
(female)

Becky2008 HB User

It usually takes 6-8 weeks for the extraction site to completely fill in and heal. Things should be getting better each day though. If you start to have a lot of pain, or you notice a lot of drainage from the sites let your dentist know. Rinse with warm salt water often to keep food out of the sockets. If you have food stuck in there, that could be the reason for the smell. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

mikecurrie HB User

I had a molar extracted 3 days ago. The day after I had the same problem it was a VERY bad smell and taste like the hole was rotting or something. I had a dry socket but it didn't hurt, I've been back and they keep putting this brown stuff in it and gauze on top of that. Well the smell isn't strong anymore and neither is the taste so I'm guessing it's healing, although it doesn't look like it! I still have this BIG hole in my mouth where the molar was. It's kinda scary. But I've read that these things can take months to heal. Anyway just call them and tell them what is going on, they might have you come in and put some stuff on it/in it. But I wouldn't worry it should go away soon I hope.

What does your hole look like? I'm curious because I'm worried I have an infection. I can see like white and black and stuff.

Plus is it normal that the gums went way down? Like the 2 teeth by the molar have more of the tooth exposed because the gums like fell down. Is this normal???

Old 01-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

A few days after I posted this, the smell finally went away...I can't even put into words how awful it was...but it was nasty! I still have this huge hole and I had the extraction on molar 30 on January 16th. I get food trapped in there and then I have to use warm salt water and gargle to pop the food trapped in it out and then it seems like the hole pulls apart a bit more again. I am too worried and feel like, will the hole EVER close. I know it will eventually, but seems like right now from day 1-3 it closed up a lot and since day 3 I have seen no change at all and tomorrow it will be 2 weeks and still no change. Its discouraging as I just want to be back to normal by now. Overall the extraction was fine pain wise, on a scale of 1-10 being worst...it stayed around a 2. Taste and Smell wise...10 and over (plain gross) Healing was fast for the first few days then nothing visibly changed since then! The hole is diamond shaped and bigger on the cheek side as most of my tooth was on that end.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

PS. yeah my gums are really low near my cheek, can't believe they will ever meet up with my other gums again. Also I can see in the hole black too...I know I don't have an infection for sure so I am thinking it must be healing IN there. I also have a feeling like I have extra skin near my front , on the side of my tooth because there is no teeth to hold it up..like I have a cotton ball stuffed in my cheek and its being pulled tight and also it pinches.

Closed Thread