It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
(female)

Puppet Master HB User
Wisdom Tooth - Medicated Gauze Came Out! Help!

I had my wisdom teeth removed Jan 27th, had the medical gauze replaced Feb 3rd. I'm not talking about the gauze you bite down on, I mean the one that's stuffed into the hole where your wisdom tooth once was. I was having dinner and felt it come out. It's not out all the way and there's no bleeding yet, but it hurts like heck. It's too late to call my dentist. What do I do?

If it's of any importance, I was due to have it replaced this coming Wednesday.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
(female)

Becky2008 HB User
Re: Wisdom Tooth - Medicated Gauze Came Out! Help!

I assume this was to treat a dry socket? You could do a couple of different things. One is to leave it alone and see your dentist first thing tomorrow, another is to take it out yourself (can be a scary thing to do for patients) and see your dentist tomorrow. I would not try to put it back in yourself, as one, you probably can't see the area very well, and two, only a dentist knows how to pack it. Is it hurting because the socket is exposed now or is it hurting because the gauze is putting pressure on your sore gums? If the socket is exposed, try taking some sterile gauze and placing it over the area. It may seem scary, but don't worry, it's not going to cause any permanent damage. Just get in to see the dentist tomorrow. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I advise you to leave whatever packing you have in your tooth...don't pull it out. Let your dentist know, and follow his/her advise.

The packing is to protect the exposed nerve left by the extraction. If all goes well, a scab will form over it to protect it until the tissue covers it all up...but if the scab is dis-lodeged, the socket is left "dry".

That also explains the intense nerve pain that comes with it. This is also why cigarette smoking, sucking a straw or hard candy is not advised following oral surgery.

I wish I didn't know all this, but I lived through one last summer, and it hurt.

Last edited by writeleft; 02-06-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
(female)

Becky2008 HB User

I just realized that today is Friday...Does your dentist have saturday hours? If they don't, I would NOT take that gauze out. If it were just for the evening it would be fine, but for an entire weekend, you could be in a lot of pain. Dry socket is a tough and painful thing. Hang in there.

Closed Thread