It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
(male)

LimelightOfDawn HB User
Thumbs down White Filling Hurts?

Hey,

I went to the dentist on Friday to have some fillings in my lower back teeth. The one nearest the back was fine, but the one nearer the front felt a little too high, like I had a small stone between my teeth. So I avoided eating on it. I went back yesterday (Monday) to have it shaved down a little and it feels loads better (like nothing is in the way now) but whenever I put pressure on it (I bite down hard or move my teeth sideways) it really hurts. Everyone keeps saying it's bound to be tender but is it really meant to hurt that much? I'm still avoiding eating on it, using sensitive toothpaste and seeing if it gets any better. Maybe it needs shaving down some more? I have to go back Friday for one final filling on the other side but i'm worried the same thing will happen and I won't be able to eat! It's really stressing me out.

What annoys me most is that I was recommended having the fillings after I went for a check up, but my teeth were causing me no problems at all. I've had this work done (which was expensive!) and now i'm just in pain.

If anyone has any theories/has experienced this... any tips or advice will be very appreciated. I'll talk to the dentist on Friday but until then I need my mind put at rest!

Thanks,
Mark

Old 02-10-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
(male)

Stribe HB User
Re: White Filling Hurts?

You might be a little tender, but not that much. Sounds like you might have an interference on sliding (just like that small stone was an interference upon biting). Have your dentist check your bite again before starting more fillings, make sure he checks as you move your jaw right and left.

I am sorry you are in pain. I can tell you thats not normal. One thing I can suggest is, learn from this experience. Everytime you have a filling done, make sure you bite together and move your jaw around to make sure everything feels normal. If something feels off, have it checked before leaving the office. The dentist has ways of checking these things, but when he gets really close, he will have to rely on you to tell him if its normal or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2009, 06:04 AM   #3
(male)

LimelightOfDawn HB User

Hey,

thanks for the reply. I know what you mean about needing to properly set your bite into it at the time - I did try but I'd had two lots of injections so I was totally numb and couldn't really tell what I was doing, haha

I have spoken to my friend who works at the dentist, she said that they will sort it out for me on Friday so I think we are going to call the other filling off until this one is perfected. I will tell him about my sideward bite, etc and hopefully we will get it sorted! Fingers crossed!

Old 02-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
(male)

Stribe HB User

Thats great, sounds like you have a good dental team. One thing I would mention is, if you are that numb use your other side to determine things. Ie. if you are getting work on the right side, make sure your left side feels normal when you bite straight and sideways. Hope that helps, good luck friday!

Old 02-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
(male)

LimelightOfDawn HB User
Talking Re: White Filling Hurts?

Just thought I'd update incase anyone's interested!

I went to the dentist this morning and he did another correction to my bite, which instantly felt so much better. I can now "grind" my teeth and chomp down on them without experiencing any pain. He also gave me the filling on the other side, which feels fine! (He was careful to shape this one and make sure it was okay!)

I have since had some food, and my teeth were sensitive whilst eating. Not so much that I couldn't stand it, and not painful like it was before. It was more on the side I'd had problems with. I assume this is because I've been catching/tugging at that tooth all week - so it will need to settle down. I'm just glad it fits in my mouth again! I'm much happier and expect this sensitivity to dissipate over the next couple of days - and if it doesn't I'm happy to go back and have a chat with the dentist. I'm sure it'll be fine now though.

Thanks for your help before!

Old 02-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Just an FYI, white fillings take a while to "set" - unlike amalgams. So it might take a little while before it is no longer sensitive.

Closed Thread