It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
(male)

FClegg HB User
Black stuff on my gum where my tooth was extracted

I recently had my tooth pulled, and on the gum where the tooth formerly was, there's this black stuff. Every now and then, I'll get a bad taste in my mouth, and presumably it's because of this. Does anyone know what it could be?

Old 02-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Black stuff on my gum where my tooth was extracted

Probably dried blood or tiny dried blood clots - when blood dries it usually truns quite dark and the bad taste is also from that. Did he suggest you rinse gently with anything - like some warm salt water? If not - don't worry, they will dissolve and disappear on their own over a few days due to your own saliva.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
(male)

FClegg HB User

It's been a few days and it's still there. Also, I've been gargling with Listerine a lot. I stopped using salt water after the 2nd day or so.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am not sure you need something as harsh as Listerine - it contains alcohol and can dry out the gums and muscus memberane of your mouth and what you need now is moisture so the blood disolves and is removed naturally. Maybe try a natural rinse like Toms or one that is made to heal mouth sores or can be used after surgery. If the area where the extraction is has healed you can also try taking a wet gauze and gently dabbing the area - don't rub too roughly as you do not want to disturb the tissue that is healing. Did the denitst advise when you would be able to brush the area? Are you going back for a post-op visit?

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 02-11-2009 at 07:07 PM.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Could it be packing the dentist left in the socket? I would be careful not to irritate it, and call the dentist for instructions first.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:54 AM   #6
(male)

FClegg HB User

The dentist never advised when I should brush again. I waited two days. I was given a list saying what I should and shouldn't do and for how long. Brushing was never mentioned, but everything that it advised against was either for 6 or 24 hours. I waited an extra day just to be safe.

I'm not going for a follow-up visit. He did say to come back if I had any problems (he said some people experience a lot of pain; I've had some, although for the most part, I've been okay in that area), but nothing was scheduled.

I've been using Listerine for some time now, and it hasn't been causing me any problems. In fact, it's been very helpful. It's the only thing that seems to remove the food that gets stuck in the socket, although not always all of it. And it doesn't hurt, either.

I couldn't get a hold of any Toms, so I hope I can keep using Listerine, because I don't think I could go without any mouth wash the way food seems to build up in there. What do you think?

My grandmother said this is common, and to just leave it alone, and it will go away. Do you think she's right?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
(male)

FClegg HB User

All the pain has gone away entirely. I still have that black stuff in the socket, though. I've been using Listerine because I have no other mouth wash, but it hasn't been causing any problems (if anything, it's been helping). So, I was just wondering, does everything seem OK? I just want to make sure nothing's wrong.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Usually a sign something is wrong would be pain (thobbing, aching, etc), inflamation or redness or puffiness, inability for the area to heal, infection (pus), etc. I would leave it alone and try and forget about it for a while and let nature take its course. If you see signs of the aforementioned symptoms then return to your dentist and have him check it out. It generally takes several weeks to several months for the area beneath the gum surface to fully heal after an extraction.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
(female)

Becky2008 HB User

Did you have an amalgam (silver) filling in the tooth that was extracted? Occasionally, little particles of amalgam can get embedded into the gum tissue. This is called an amalgam tattoo and can result in a dark blue or black mark on the gum tissue. It is perfectly harmless and nothing to worry about. This could be what the black spots are that you are referring to. It may also just go away as you heal if it's just some clotting blood vessels or a bruise. Give it some time. Good Luck!

Closed Thread