It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
(female)

hjjasnell HB User
Question Getting a temporary partial denture...need advice please

Have you had one and have some advice to give? I sure could use it. I'm supposed to have one done in a few weeks to replace quite a few of my upper teeth until I can afford a partial or full upper set of dentures. I'm not scared of having the teeth pulled, on the contrary, I'm excited to finally have the painful ones out. This will include my four front upper teeth and I've already had almost all of my back ones pulled out. I had a few questions about the temp partial dentures (I think they're also called flippers right?). How long can I feasibly wear them? I won't have the money for my full set for a good 6 months. Can I wear my temps that long? Can I eat with them in? My dentist gave me the impression there were being made to help me eat better and give me a better smile until I bought a more permanent set. Is this true? What's the best method for cleaning them? I really could use just any advice that you have to offer. Btw, I'm 30 and have had problems with my teeth since a VERY early age. I was 3 when I had my first set of partials...hereditary, if that helps any. Thanks so much!!

Old 03-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
(male)

Stribe HB User
Re: Getting a temporary partial denture...need advice please

"How long can I feasibly wear them? "
6 months or less for them to still fit. The true reason for a flipper is as a temporary during bone healing either after extractions or implants (both which take 3-6 months).
The exact fit depends entirely on which teeth you have left, what relationship they are in, and how much bone you have. They may fit well in the beginning, but over a few months the acrylic tends to warp without metal support. I don't want to discourage you, you have a great attitude about the whole situation! I just want you to keep your expectations realistic.

"Can I eat with them in?"
While technically you can, they are called flippers for a reason, they flip in and out. With the amount of pressure used to eat, they will not be very stable at all. Flippers are almost exclusively for esthetic use only.
Permanent partials use a metal framework (exception valplast) that has clasps which grab hold of natural teeth to give it support for function during eating.

"What's the best method for cleaning them?"
Any denture cleaner. Avoid toothbrush/paste, they will damage the acrylic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
(female)

hjjasnell HB User

Thanks so much for your response. My dentist showed me what they would look like and told me they would have metal clasps to grab hold of my natural teeth, so maybe these aren't temporaries but permanent. I could have sworn the paperwork said temporary (the insurance paperwork) but maybe I'm mistaken. Do temporaries come with metal clasps? Thanks again!!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:07 AM   #4
(male)

Stribe HB User

Sounds like you are getting an immediate temporary partial than. Anytime you make something that will go on immediately after you remove teeth, its temporary. This is because the bone makes huge changes in the next 3-6 months after extraction, which will make the denture lose stability. Good news is, you will likely not need to have the denture remade completely. What the dentist will do in 6 months is reline the acrylic so that it fits much better long term.

The main difference is, a flipper is a full acrylic base. Something more permanent has a metal substructure. Either may have clasps.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
(male)

Stribe HB User

I am so glad you were able to get in early! Happy I could help! Sounds like you have a good dentist taking care of you, good luck with the rest of your treatment.

Closed Thread