It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
(female)

misty57 HB User
Can a tooth be removed from a bridge

I have a bridge ( upper front ) and one tooth that is supporting the bridge needs to come out. Can they just cut the one cap off the bridge so that I can remove my natural tooth underneath that is bad. It,s on the end of the bridge with no tooth next to it. And if this can be done.... what type of dentist does this. I do not want to remove the bridge for fear of breaking or chipping my natural teeth that are holding the bridge in. And then I won't be able to recement the bridge back on. Thanks Misty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Can a tooth be removed from a bridge

I don't think so - most bridges are fused with metal underneath- it would require a lot of filing and then you run the risk of fracturing the bridge during the filing. Even if they were able to file the bridge in a way to remove the one pontic and natural tooth that needs to be extracted - then what would replace it? Also, filing the one pontic off will expose the metal underneath - I don't think you will be that pleased with how it will look.

A good prosthodontist may be able to remove the entire bridge without fracturing it with the right tools and then recement it on with temp cement so you can go have the natural tooth extracted - but without an anchor tooth - a tooth at the end of the bridge, its not going to be very stabile or durable. You may need to have a new bridge made using the next adjacent natural tooth as an anchor or have an implant done in the spot where you are losing the natural tooth but whether the same or exisitng bridge could be used is "iffy".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
(female)

misty57 HB User
Re: Can a tooth be removed from a bridge

Thank You Thelma, If this can't be done then I will have to put an implant in next to it before its pulled and have a new bridge made. Oh it never ends!!!! I don't want to use temp cement on my front teeth. I would always be afraid of it coming loose.

Closed Thread