It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
(female)

tcp307 HB User
Two front teeth knocked out

I didn't know there was dental problems I could get advice on, but here goes. Two weeks ago today, my 13 yr old son had a bike accident and fell face first onto the pavement knocking both two front teeth out BY THE ROOTS. After a long night in the ER, they placed them back up in his gums (painfully). We were able to get to an oral surgeon first thing that Monday morning and they wired the two front teeth to the surrounding teeth. The oral surgeon said it's a 50/50 chance of those teeth fusing back to the bone in his gums. He (surgeon) won't know for about 3 more weeks or so if the teeth will live. I'm so upset since he is so young! Now we are looking at possibly having a partial put in until he is old enough to have implants. My question to everyone is....has anyone else ever went through this and had the teeth fuse back to the bone sucessfully??? I'm hoping and praying everyday that these teeth are saved!! He wants to play football next year, so would he be able to do that if he had a partial??? How do those stay in?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Two front teeth knocked out

I slipped one day just standing on the sidewalk with my roller skates on (age 12) and knocked one upper front tooth out and the other 3 teeth were very loose. The one tooth knocked out was reinserted and all four teeth were wired for several weeks - maybe a few months I can not recall how long but do remember how painful it was. All 4 teeth tightened and reintergrated with the bone but the one tooth that was re-implanted did need a root canal several months later as it turned dark grey. Since they ended up being slightly crooked as a result about 10 yrs later I had braces to try and correct their position - and that worked but 10 yrs later the 4 upper front teeth just decided they had had it and they started to flange outward and turned dark yellow and began to ache all the time so I had them removed and did implants - but by this time I was about 32 yrs old. So I got an extra 20 yrs with my natural teeth thanks to a good OS - and this was back in 1972.

My BIL btw has worn an upper anterior partial for his front teeth since he was child and knocked his teeth out playing one day - He had a partial which just had 4 front teeth attached to a wire that went behind his gums and the whole thing attached to teeth on either side of those missing. Then a couple years ago the one he has been wearing for more than 25 yrs broke, so he had a new one made and this one has a tiny pink denture plate that sits on the roof of his mouth just behind his dummy front teeth with little clasps that go around the natural teeth on either side of it to make it more secure. I think once you get used to it, it really isn't that bad. I think children more easily adapt to thses things than adults sometimes.

PS - if he does end up getting a partial he may need to remove it to play football - it may depend on how secure it is and whether or not he wears a mouth guard and if the guard can fit around it without damaging it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
(female)

RMB HB User

I had a front tooth knocked out when I was in 8th grade. I was playing tag in with some neighborhood kids at night. The grass was slippery...someone tripped...I tripped over that person and collided with another girl. I hit her forehead with my mouth. One of my front teeth came out...root and all. The tooth was found in the grass.

My dentist was able to put the tooth back in....I was lucky and it did bond to the bone. I did have a root canal sometime later. The tooth only discolored a tiny bit. Long story short. I am now 42...I must have been about 14 or 15 when it happened. So I got a lot of mileage with my reinserted tooth! I did even play tenor sax all the way through high school with no problems. I have always been really carefully about biting anything with my front teeth....I cut my apples and also cut the corn off the cob for example.

My current dentist was alarmed about a year ago because most of the root had absorbed and he felt that the tooth was going to fall out. So after much procrastination I had an implant put in about two weeks ago. When the oral surgeon pulled my front tooth they found that it was fused quite tightly to the bone still...he really had to tug had to get it to loosen.

Hope my story helps....nothing is worse than having something bad happen to one's teeth but especially when it someone young and it is the front teeth. I think you asked about an implant? I think a person has to be done growing before they will try an implant...it has something to do with growth of the jaw bone.

If you have any more questions ask away...this is a wonderful site with lots of helpful people!
RMB

Old 03-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
(female)

tcp307 HB User

Thanks so much for the replies I've gotten. I'm so upset today......just got home from today's appointment with the oral surgeon. It's not looking good. The teeth are real wiggly and first thing he asked my son is "have you bitten down on food?" Well, of course he says no because he's 13 and doesn't have a care in the world! Who cares if mom has to come up with a bunch of money for my teeth! I'm really irritated with him and I told the Dr "I can't watch him 24/7 because of school". The thing is, we have went over and over how important this is NOT TO BITE DOWN ON FOOD, any food! Needless to say, the Dr said it's not real promising at this point. He had a huge abcess on his gum that he had to drain. I suppose it's just a week by week thing for now. He goes back next week after another round of antibiotics. Wish me luck

Old 03-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
(female)

RMB HB User

Oh that would be so frustrating! Best wishes....

Old 05-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
(female)

tcp307 HB User

Hi everyone..wanted to update this situation. One tooth took, and the other will be removed next week (as they are wired in). So he will have to have a partial of some sort until he's old enough for an implant. Dentist said his mouth isn't finished growing yet for an implant.

Closed Thread