It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
(female)

cmhaas HB User
Getting a molar pulled

I went to the dentist today, and he said my very back top tooth on the right needs a crown or needs to be pulled, insurance will only cover $200 of a crown and so it will cost me $782 and getting the tooth removed will cost $40. Now I really dont want to have a tooh pulled, but I dont know if I can come up with $782 in time. What effect will it have on my mouth having this tooth pulled? Will it create large gaps in my other teeth? Will I have trouble eating? What problems could I run into having the very back tooth on the top pulled?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Getting a molar pulled

Is this the third molar (wisdom tooth) or second molar?

Not having a third molar tends not to be much of a problem (many people never get useful third molars in the first place). But if your third molar has already been removed and you then have the second molar removed, you will have only one upper molar left on that side, which may reduce your chewing capacity on that side in a more significant fashion.

If the tooth in question is a second molar, and the opposing second molar (bottom) is still there, then it would seem to be well worth repairing it, unless it is weak due to other problems like periodontal disease. Even if it is a third molar, if it is functional and not otherwise a problem, then it may still be worth repairing. (Seems odd that removal only costs $40 -- are you sure that this is the correct price?)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
(female)

cmhaas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
Is this the third molar (wisdom tooth) or second molar?

Not having a third molar tends not to be much of a problem (many people never get useful third molars in the first place). But if your third molar has already been removed and you then have the second molar removed, you will have only one upper molar left on that side, which may reduce your chewing capacity on that side in a more significant fashion.

If the tooth in question is a second molar, and the opposing second molar (bottom) is still there, then it would seem to be well worth repairing it, unless it is weak due to other problems like periodontal disease. Even if it is a third molar, if it is functional and not otherwise a problem, then it may still be worth repairing. (Seems odd that removal only costs $40 -- are you sure that this is the correct price?)
I cant come up with the $782 dollars for a crown (insurance only covers $200 of the crown) and to remove the molar insurance said my copay would be $40.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
(male)

Stribe HB User

I am curious...what lousy insurance only pays $200 for a crown?

Old 04-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
(female)

gigi978585 HB User

$782 for a crown? Where do you live? I just had a crown (after my root canal) on my top molar in the very back. The crown only (not including root canal) was $1500!! I don't have dental insurance, though, so I had to pay out of pocket. I don't think you should get the tooth pulled if it is otherwise healthy. See if you can get a loan from friends/family, apply for Care Credit, or ask if your dentist will work out a payment plan. Once that tooth is gone, it's gone. My mom has had some of her teeth pulled instead of getting them fixed and what's happened is her teeth have shifted so she's got gaps that are very noticeable in her front teeth. Your bite might change as well. Another option you could consider is going to a dental school; they're prices are a little cheaper. Also, unless you have pain or an infection, you should keep the tooth and then maybe in a few months or so you'll be able to get it fixed.

Last edited by gigi978585; 04-03-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Closed Thread