It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009, 06:40 AM   #1
(male)

fishertimm HB User
Sensitiviy after Deep cleaning for pero

I had a deep cleaning done about 2 weeks ago (entire mouth at once ouch). the procedure itself was a bit painful especially around the molars which had some 5's (spaces). After, was just mild pain that tylenol took care of. A little after a week I started eating a liitle more substantial food (went out for steak) and I think that was a mistake because it hurt like crazy for a few hours after that. Now, I have some sensitivity on right side by molars top and bottom which was the worst area. Feels more like it is at the gume line. Could this just be temporary because of the deep cleaning (maybe exposing more of the teeth) and the pero problems I had already? I go back in a couple weeks for my polish. I had to wait because they used arestin in those pockets as well. I am starting to panic and hope this is it because after a root canal, 3 cavities, and the deep cleaning I am broke! Any other problems and the tooth/teeth have to come out because I can't afford anything else. I am only 38 and I really don't want to start down the path of loosing teeth but I wont have a choice. The pain from this sensitivity can be intense but it doesn't last long, maybe only a second or two. Any advice would be appreciated as I am really starting to panic because of the money and limited options left

Old 04-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Sensitiviy after Deep cleaning for pero

Based on my experience - the more the treatment - the more sensitive the teeth will get as more and more of the tooth is exposed. It may settle down on its own but what I found what helped me was to take naproxen or aleve - 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon and 2 at night for a week to 10 days - yes this is above the OTC recommendation but is within guidelines of the prescription doseage of the drug. It takes 2-3 days before enough of the drug builds up in the system but once it does it allows the nerves of the teeth to desensitize. After that I only had to occasionally take it. Also try using sensodyne but do not brush it on - dab it around the base of your teeth and just let it sit there and dissolve on its own. This too will help the nerves return back to normal.

If it should not improve you may want to ask your dentist about adding some composite or bonding to the outer sides of the teeth - not to change their appearance but to provided add'l coverage around the tooth to prevent the nerve from being disturbed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #3
(male)

fishertimm HB User
Re: Sensitiviy after Deep cleaning for pero

Thanks for the info. Helped calm me down as I am really worried that if I have more problems... I already spent $3000 out of pocket this year on my teeth as my insurance limit is up until Jan and I have no more money to spend on my teeth. Since dentists want all money after procedure now, I will be in trouble if needed more work and probably get extractions and pray it doesn't get worse later. I have been using sensodyne toothpast for past few days and has started to get better. I still get some pain between last molar and the tooth next to it (I just had a cavity filled there), but it's right at gumline and getting better as well. At least my teeth don't hurt when I eat or tap on them and I heard that is a good sign. I really really really wish I had taken better care of my teeth as a kid and I may have avoided some of this!! I have an appointment first week of may for the cleaning/polish so if not better by then I will see what I need to do.

Closed Thread