It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
(male)

mechanix HB User
periodontist deep cleaning. did i get ripped?

Hi all im new here and I have an issue. I need a couple of skin grafts for receding gums so i went to a periodontist. well, the woman i saw has been doing this for over 30 years so i put some faith into what she said when she told me I needed a deep cleaning and scaling of my roots. So I went to get that done today and it cost me 1000 dollars. most of my pockets read 2-4 with a couple of 5s. for my whole mouth it took about 1 hour 30 minutes. i thought it would take longer for one thing, and for another thing a few hours later im not sore from it. shouldnt i be sore form a deep cleaning? i mean i guess they feel somewhat better but its hard to say. and shouldnt this procedure take longer for the whole mouth? she used the tool, and then scraped with a hand tool so that seemed good.... but does this sound correct for a deep cleaning?

i feel like i should be more sore....

anything would be great thanks!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
(male)

mechanix HB User
Re: periodontist deep cleaning. did i get ripped?

just a small update. i flossed and i bled between most teeth a little bit where i normally dont. i guess this is a sign of what happened. idk lol i still think i should be sore

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
(male)

Stribe HB User

Scraping with hand tools is the way to smooth and clean the root surfaces, so thats normal. However, a deep cleaning is typically two appointments for two reasons:
1) So you do not numb the entire mouth
2) Insurance will not pay for one appointment deep cleanings because of past insurance fraud upcoding (doing one procedure, but charging for a more expensive one).

Dentists will do it in one appointment if there are medical reasons, or you live far away, or have a very difficult time getting off work. If one of these is not a specific concern, ask your dentist why.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
(male)

mechanix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribe View Post
Scraping with hand tools is the way to smooth and clean the root surfaces, so thats normal. However, a deep cleaning is typically two appointments for two reasons:
1) So you do not numb the entire mouth
2) Insurance will not pay for one appointment deep cleanings because of past insurance fraud upcoding (doing one procedure, but charging for a more expensive one).

Dentists will do it in one appointment if there are medical reasons, or you live far away, or have a very difficult time getting off work. If one of these is not a specific concern, ask your dentist why.

they used gas instead of numbing me. do you think they should have numbed me? this is just one more reason to question this procedure....

Old 04-30-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
(male)

Stribe HB User

You should ask your periodontist that question directly. I am less concerned about the gas vs. local, but I would be worried about having the procedure done in one visit. It's possible that they gave you a double length appt. (30-45min is typical length of time for a hygienist) to save you time, and in that case they were doing you a favor.

Unfortunantly, that means patients with or without insurance are being treated differently...good for cash patients, not good for insurance patients. Just another in the long list of problems I have with dental insurance.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
(male)

mechanix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribe View Post
You should ask your periodontist that question directly. I am less concerned about the gas vs. local, but I would be worried about having the procedure done in one visit. It's possible that they gave you a double length appt. (30-45min is typical length of time for a hygienist) to save you time, and in that case they were doing you a favor.

Unfortunantly, that means patients with or without insurance are being treated differently...good for cash patients, not good for insurance patients. Just another in the long list of problems I have with dental insurance.

ty very much for that stribe. i really appreciate what you said. ya paying 1000 dollars cash in one visit would give insentive. that you for the time length of hygiene procedures. I was really concerned about that one.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
(male)

mechanix HB User

i still think where i had deep pockets, say 4 and 5s, i should have been sore from this procedure. has anyone else had this procedure who can give me some help?

Old 05-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User

mechanix-

usually scaling and planing is divided into 4 sessions, for the sake of the patient (so you don't go numb all over), but i had mine done in 2 appointments, nearly 5 years ago.

I had plenty of 4's and 5's, and even some 6's and 7's. I was a bit sore for the first day, but not too bad, and I was able to eat and all. The following day, i wasn't sore at all. Scaling and planing is nonsurgical, and shouldn't cause a lot of soreness unless you have sensitive teeth or something like that. in my opinion (based on experience only, not a dental degree), it's nothing to worry about if you're not sore.

Closed Thread