It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Failed root canal, Calcified canals and tired of pain

I had an old crown removed and some decay underneath taken care of 4 weeks ago....within 2 hours of getting home my temp crown broke in half....I had to wait 4 days to return to the dentist to have new temp crown put back on.....My tooth felt fine and I had no problems even with half a crown......after having the new temp crown put on within 8 hours I was in horrible pain..I could not believe it. So it was 6 days later the pain started.

I had to leave out of State for 12 days for work and then over to Hoston where I am being seen for cancer so I did not want to miss that appt.... My Dentist told me to take Motrin and Penicillin until I got back.....I was in so much pain I sought out a dentist in California and he took an xray and said my tooth looked fine but my temp crown was hitting high, it was short and exposing too much of my teeth, temp crown was cracked and he said I may need a root canal. When I told him they were planning a bridge he said no way and to get a 2nd opinion before I spent anymore money....adjusting the bite did help but the discomfort remained.

I got back to my Dentist today. He said I needed a root canal...he acted ticked off that I had seen another dentist. He attempted to do the root canal and said 2 of the canals were calcified and he could not get into them. He said I had to go to an Endo...He put the same temp crown back on. I cried like a little kid......I am worn out with all of this constant pain and cannot keep missing work and feeling like this. I feel like just saying PULL IT. It is back molar and I really was hoping to keep it.

Well I am in pain all day and this evening. I am also upset because I had to pay him $700. in advance toward the bridge we had planned. Well............???? The office manager started talking about "my 700. credit" and I said no way is it going to sit there as a credit.

Sorry this is so long but does anyone else have experience with failed root canals, calcified canals and just in general a feeling of being ripped off?

I have taken enough Penicillin and Motrin to kill anything..... this cannot be good for me.

Tired of being in pain for 27 days now. Thanks for listening......Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Failed root canal, Calcified canals and tired of pain

Did the dentist in CA say why a bridge would not work?

This is just one of those situations where you end up learning by experience. Unfortunately I have come across this type of thing - conflicting advice from dental professionals - quite often. One of the risks of disturbing an old filling or crown is that it can end up opening up a can of worms and causing more problems. I would see the endo - they have more advanced training and equipment to do root canals and can often save a tooth usually without inflicting further pain but they can come with a hefty price tag. I too had a crown left too high and despite the dentist adjusting it within a few months I needed a root canal - so hitting a tooth too hard can cause damage or traumatize the nerve. I would be hesitant at this point to continue with him until you see the endo and have the tooth treated - and would still be concerned that the perm crown my not be seated and fitted properly since temps should be closely akin to perms - and he didn't seem to check your bite the first time.

As for the $700 advance payment - if you are not going to pursue or continue any further treatment from this dentist send him a registered letter requesting a full refund within 30 days. If it was paid with a credit card you could contact the credit card co and explain the situation - if they have not paid him yet, they could put a hold on their payment to him and/or help you get the refund.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 05-07-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma,

Thank you so much.. I tried to go without Motrin today and so far I have only had to 800 mg once. My tooth is very sore but not pounding. I also got an appt with an Endo for next Weds.....My daughter went to him with her botched Veneers and feels he is good. They quoted me 95. for the exam.

The Dentist in Cali said the bridge would not work because the teeth he was going to involve were not in good enough shape to support it. He said it would fail...I really liked him and wish he could do my work. He told me to to get a 2nd opinion. He took my insurance and had an Endo he worked with. He also recommended that I only use a dental that belongs to the DAG or some association that has more schooling.... I have it written down at home.

My Temp crown is horrible and I could not believe he did not make me a new one yesterday.

I had had that crown on for 20 years... It started hurting and had a tiny hole in the back of it. I wish I would have just left it alone.

They asked for 700. up front and I owed 1300 for the pending bridge. They also bill my insurance. I have 1500 a year... They no longer take payments and wanted money up front which with 2 kids in college is a hardship for me.
I will ask for the 700 back and if I have any trouble I will talk to my Insurance company for help. I paid a check for the 700. I am just amazed at all of this.

I will let you know what the Endo says on Weds.......... thanks so much for your response....

Thank you so much........Oleander

Old 05-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Here it is Mother's day and my tooth hurts so bad I can barely tolerate talking to my kids...... I am taking 800 of Motrin every 4 hours and Penicillin 2000 mg a day.....I feel sick and cannot take this pain much longer. I see an Endo on Weds......I hope I can make it....This is terrible...

My regular Dentist called and checked on me HAH...... must be his guilty feelings of blowing me off and doing a half aaa..... Job.

Thanks for letting me vent...........Oleander

Old 05-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Saw an Endontist today. He was so nice..... he tried to save my tooth but had a periodontist come over and look at it and both said no way...... so the tooth was pulled....he also pulled the one behind it since is was a root canal tooth that broke off........ He basically said neither one shoulld have had a root canal. I liked this guy and he let me do 12 months same as cash and billed my insurance so not a penny out of my pocket.......

He said I had a great deal of infection at top of root and much decay in the tooth that my other dentist missed.. He said no wonder I have been in pain for 5 weeks....... Horrible...... by the way he was able to see my canals just fine.......no calcification..........so why did my Dentist say that? I think he did not want to deal with it. I think he has burn out.

So right now I am a little sore from the extractions but my pain is gone.......

I have lost faith completely with my old dentist and will not return to him. He has $800. of mine and I will have to attempt to get it back.. I will get it back.

So far so good.........Oleander

Old 05-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
(female)

trychocolate HB User

You must be so relieved to get that all looked after by someone qualified. It's a good thing you were taking the antibiotics to fight the infection. Hopefully, things will get better day by day.

That other dentist shouldn't be keeping your money. There are some scary dentists out there but thankfully, some really good ones too, and good thing you found one.

choc

Old 05-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you Choc, I am so relieved and grateful nothing terrible happened to me in the last 5 weeks with all that infection.

I think Dentists should be scrutinized just like Doctors are....What a racket !!!!

Oleander

Old 05-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I would get a copy of the medical notes from the Endo and send it to the insurance company, and ask them to get you the refund from the first dentist. Then I would get copies of the medical notes from the first dentist and report him to the dental assoication. All that pain you went through in addition to loosing 2 teeth, that's not right. I'm glad your finally out of pain.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I am so glad you had it taken care of - sorry you had to lose both teeth as a result but you did what had to be done. I agree with what everyone has said too - they should not let bad dentists practice and they should be held accountable just like medical drs are. I hope your insurance does help you get the money back but I once had a similar issue and they pretty much said it was up to me to go after the dentist for a refund. Definitley file a complaint with the dental ward in your county or your state though - as this is the only way they can somewhat monitor bad dentists. And if you need to, you can also file a small claims suit if he fails to return what you paid him in advance.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks you guys !!!! I will get my money back. Today I am sore from the extractions but no more toothache !!! no more earache, face ache or headache....... It feels good to feel good for a change......

The Endo says he can give me a name of a lawyer that would be happy to send my old dentist a letter if needed to get my money back... I will follow all your advice....Thanks for the support...... Oleander

Closed Thread