It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
(male)

sashapanther HB User
Is tooth implant necessary?

Hello All,

Just today I had Molar and two wisdom removed from my oral sugeon. My general dentist is suggesting me to go for implant of molar teeth. It is going to cost $5000.

My question:

Is it really necessary to have implant immediately after extraction? Can I keep it like that for rest of the life? or Can i do implant after a year. I dont have good financial stability so able to bear the expenses now.

Is there any other alternate way than implant? like bridge?

please help with answers.

Thanks

Sasha

Old 05-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Is tooth implant necessary?

The benefits of doing an implant immediately following an extraction are 1) less drilling into the bone as the implant is embedded in the extraction site 2) better positioning of the implant - the extraction site takes the guesswork out of where the implant should be placed 3) increases the chances of a successful intergration of the implant with the underlying bone.

Although some dentists prefer implants be done shortly or immediately after an extraction sometimes its best to wait especially if an infection was present or a bone graft was required. Some dentists insist all their patients wait several months for an extraction site to heal before doing the implant. There is no one rule or protocol on this.

But no there is no reason you need to have it done this year or even next year. Some people actually go to bridges or partials for a period of time before opting for implants - implants are an elective or option - not a must have.

The only risk with not replacing the tooth is that missing teeth often cause or allow adjacent teeth to shift - but it usually takes a fair amt of time for this to happen - it generally doesn't happen over night, so to speak.

I have never heard of wisdom teeth being replaced but if you are asking about alternatives for the one molar you lost - a bridge will only work if there is something on either side of the missing tooth to use as anchors for it - natural teeth or implants will do. If the missing molar is the last tooth in the back a bridge would not work as there would be nothing to attach or anchor it to on the one end so a partial would be your only alternative.

Don't be forced into anything if you are not sure or if your finances can not accomodate the expense - you can always opt for the implant at a later time when things are better financially. However if your dentist strongly urges you to do it or insists - ask him if he will offer an 18 -24 month interest free payment plan - if he does and that works for you too - then go for it!

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 05-07-2009 at 09:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
(male)

sashapanther HB User

Hello Thelma,

Thanks so much for your answer. It was really helpful and encouraging.

Yes my third molar (third from right side) is removed and I have number 2 and number 4 so that Bridge can be done.

Is bridge helpful in long terms? I talked to my friend he didnt go for bridging nor implant. He just kept it like that from the last 4yrs and does not have any problem.

Certainly I will not go for it but is it good idea if we take good care?

Again thanks for your help.

Sasha

Old 05-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

In general it is a good idea to replace a missing molar as it is used in chewing food - you may start favoring the other side if you can not chew as well on the side missing the tooth which is not good as this can overwork the muscles on the other side and start experiencing jaw and muscle fatigue. Plus missing teeth can allow adjacent teeth to shift or the teeth below or above the missing tooth to erupt or "grow" as teeth need other teeth to rest on and will do this in search for contact with another tooth.

However this does not always happen which may have to do with where the force of your natural bite is and if it does happen it can take a few years before you even notice it happening.

The pros of having a bridge done shortly after a tooth is removed is that the other teeth have not yet had a chance to shift - so the correct space is still open and makes fitting the dummy tooth or pontic of the bridge easier and b/c you are still accustomed to having a tooth there, its replacement should feel quite natural - however if you do it at a later time some slight shifting of teeth may have occured and you may have become accustomed to no tooth there and may have trouble re-adjusting to a "new" tooth.

With that said, btw - my sister lost a central upper molar a few years ago and did not replace it and so far has not had any problems other than some aching on that side - she is adamant about not doing anything as she feels sooner or later she will lose all her teeth as both our parents did - so why bother - at some point she feels she will end up in dentures anyway so its a waste of time and money.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:38 AM   #5
(female)

AThena53 HB UserAThena53 HB User

I have two implants. I love them. The others have pointed out why it's good to do something rather than leave the gap there. The problem with a bridge is that they have to grind down the tops of two perfectly good teeth on either side to install it. Not a fun process even with good anaesthesia. And my husband is now dealing with decay in one of the teeth holding up a bridge. (They extracted the tooth, which couldn't be repaired, and now have to do a bridge spanning a double gap.)

My implants were done in stages. First the extraction plus buildup with a bone graft, and a few months to heal. Then, a few months later, they put in the titanium plate with a threaded hole in it and gave that time to heal. Then, a few months after that, they screwed the fake tooth into it. Husband also has an implant- another bridge where a tooth holding it up decayed and had to be extracted.

If you have a medical savings account through your employer, you can put the money aside in that for 2010. Even though it's taken out of your pay throughout 2010 the money is available to you after January 1. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Closed Thread