It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
(female)

Carrie1970 HB User
6 top front teeth extraction & partial - questions

Hi all,

In two weeks I am having my top 6 front teeth extracted. Right now I have a temporary 6 tooth bridge. I have had apico's and bone graft on teeth 8 and 9 (the two front teeth). Number 8 has been nothing but trouble - 2 apico's so far and it still hurts, now there is a painful bump there. I am just done with trying to "save" these teeth and spending thousands of dollars that I don't have just to get no where but in debt.

I will be put out for this surgery with IV sedation, which I've had before. I have never had this many teeth extracted at once and am a bit nervous. Will there be a lot of pain and swelling after the surgery? I heard the eye teeth can cause problems/pain - anyone have any feedback on that?

Also, since the number 8 tooth has been problematic, always hurting, infection (it had a bone graft), will it hurt even more after being pulled?

I am very sensitive to medication and pain killers. I usually take Tylenol with Codeine but I'm not sure this will be strong enough. Does anyone know of a stronger pain killer that might be easier on the stomach and not make me so comatose? With Oxy, Vicodin and Percs I vomit.

How long til I can go back to work?

What can I do for swelling?

The partial will be put in immediately - will this hurt?

Thanks so much in advance!
Carrie

Last edited by Carrie1970; 05-31-2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: forgot something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: 6 top front teeth extraction & partial - questions

Hi,
I can relate to your worry. Can I tell you I've done it all for you already and you'll do fine? I hope so.

I had my top four front teeth out last October and four implants immediately screwed in. I then used a partial (placed in the office) while the implants healed.

Now, I am the worst worry wart you ever saw. I practically made myself sick with worry. It was not bad AT ALL and I did the extractions and implants with just novocaine and nitrous oxide. I felt no pain during the procedure at all.
Pain after was minimal. As soon as I got home, I used rice that I had placed in a very thin sock that had been in the freezer. This worked great cause you don't get wet and it stays cold a long time. Try sleeping slightly elevated in bed at night and if the doctor gives you pain meds, take them. I had percocet and slept like a baby!

Swelling was the worst on the third day. I took advantage of my poor stretched and puffy skin and gave myself a facial! Worked great!

I ate soft food for a few days and was eating chicken and ribs by the 6th day.

Happily, I have had no problems with the implants and will be going tomorrow for my crowns and abutments.

You will really do fine. Try not to worry. It's not all that bad and I was awake!
Just be sure you take any Rx's as prescribed and make that rice sock your best friend!

Hope this helps,
Best to you and I wish you good luck,
Gellia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
(female)

Carrie1970 HB User

Hi Gellia,

Thank you so much for your response - which has put my mind at ease already. I am a huge worrier - and I have panic attacks, which doesn't help.

The cold sock with rice is a great idea. I have done that before for sinus problems - only with the sock heated in the microwave. I never though to freeze it.

I will write a reply after my procedure and let you know how I do.

Thanks!!
Carrie

Old 06-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi Carrie,
Please do let me know how you make out. I will be very interested to know.

If I can help you with anything, I check in with the board all the time, so just ask.
You really will do fine. I was just like you....panic attacks and cried all the time when I found out.
Now, I couldn't be happier! I just got my permanent crowns placed in temporarily and Gosh! I have teeth that I can now brush in my mouth! Sweet!

Good luck, Carrie, and I'm here if you need me!

Gellia

Old 06-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
(female)

spandau HB User

I am having 4 top teeth extracted on Thursday. 2 implants will be put in and I will leave with a flipper. 4 bottom teeth will also be pulled same day. Ugh! the 2 teeth to the sides of the 4 center teeth will have been prepared for caps. 2 implants will be placed also on the bottom. A temporary bridge will be put on the whole 6 teeth area on the bottom before I leave the office. My biggest worry is- will I be able to talk with the flipper? I work as a therapist and need to be working 4 days later. Help! Any advice would be great. The sock idea is intriguing. Do you put the uncooked rice in the sock and then put it in the freezer? Or cooked rice or what? Thanks!

Old 06-15-2009, 05:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Spandau,
The rice goes in the sock uncooked, tie a big ol' knot in the end and pop it in the freezer for a few hours. It works GREAT!

I had a removable metal partial for after my extractions and implants (top four front).
I had no real problem with speech. Maybe had a teeny lisp at the end of the day when I would get tired but other than that, a day or so and everything was back to normal. With have both your upper and lower teeth down, you may find it a bit
more challenging but normal speech DOES come back.

Fours days is a bit soon to go back to work though. You may still be a bit swollen.
Swelling for me was the worst on day three. It went down quickly after that though. Be sure you sleep with your head elevated at night. That will really help hold the swelling down. Also, if you can take ibuprofen, that will also help with any inflammation. I also started rinsing with warm salt water right away.

I really think day three is the only day I wanted to stay hidden. I took advantage of the swelling and gave myself a facial...no sense letting it go to waste! LOL

Good luck with all your work and let us know how you do. If I can answer any other questions, please let me know! I'll try to help.

Best to you
Gellia

Old 06-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
(female)

spandau HB User
Unhappy Re: 6 top front teeth extraction & partial - questions

Thanks Gellia,
I have so appreciated your postings! Thanks so much. Tomorrow I have the 4 bottom teeth filed down and the 2 teeth to either side prepared for crowns. I will leave that appointment with a flipper in hand and a temporary bridge on the lower 6 teeth. Then the next day I get the 4 upper and 4 lower teeth extracted, 4 implants put in and leave with the bridge on the lower and the flipper on the upper. Yikes! It gives me nightmares! But the messages here have been extremely helpful. Before I found this site I thought I'd rather die than go through this. I know ibuproh=phin helps with the swelling. But the other big problem I get with this is bruising. And the ibup. makes that worse. I ahve stopped all meds- no supplements, no ibup. now for a month. I have learned that many supplements (like fish oil) decrease clotting. I ahve also found that for the first 48 hours I use ice and then moist heat. I tried that after the last implants and when I put on the warm, almost all the swelling went down. I was amazed! So- off we go. . .

Old 06-17-2009, 06:39 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,
GOOD LUCK!! I will be sending you good vibes all day long!
You'll be amazed at how fine you will be!

Let us know. I'm rooting for you!!

Gellia
P.S. The rice in a sock can also be tossed in the microwave for when you need moist heat. Works SUPER!!

Best to you!!

Old 06-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
(female)

jocomom2 HB User

A flipper is a temporary plastic partial. It is meant to be worn for a short time while your gums heal following your extraction. Some people wear "flippers" indefinitely but that's not the intended purpose. A permanent partial will usually have a plastic base attached to a metal frame with either metal or plastic clasps that attach to natural teeth to hold the partial in. A flipper will provide you with temporary front teeth for a much smaller cost than a metal partial.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:12 PM   #10
(female)

spandau HB User

Thank you so much!!!

Old 06-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #11
(female)

spandau HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellia View Post
Hi Spandau,
The rice goes in the sock uncooked, tie a big ol' knot in the end and pop it in the freezer for a few hours. It works GREAT!

I had a removable metal partial for after my extractions and implants (top four front).
I had no real problem with speech. Maybe had a teeny lisp at the end of the day when I would get tired but other than that, a day or so and everything was back to normal. With have both your upper and lower teeth down, you may find it a bit
more challenging but normal speech DOES come back.

Fours days is a bit soon to go back to work though. You may still be a bit swollen.
Swelling for me was the worst on day three. It went down quickly after that though. Be sure you sleep with your head elevated at night. That will really help hold the swelling down. Also, if you can take ibuprofen, that will also help with any inflammation. I also started rinsing with warm salt water right away.

I really think day three is the only day I wanted to stay hidden. I took advantage of the swelling and gave myself a facial...no sense letting it go to waste! LOL

Good luck with all your work and let us know how you do. If I can answer any other questions, please let me know! I'll try to help.

Best to you
Gellia

Old 06-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
(female)

spandau HB User

Hi gellia-
Your posts have been so helpful for me, more helpful than the dentist! I ahd the whole ordeal today and survived. I ahve to say that I couldn't wait to get home where I just broke down a couple of times. Nothing in particular, just all the dreading and now finally it's over, more or less. The sock idea is the best icing method I've ever used- thanks for that! Now re: the ibuprophen - I usually bruise a lot so ahve not taken any of my usual supplements for a month now and no ibuprophen. Do you not get bruising?
Maybe I'm unusual that way. So right now I'm ising and so far no swelling. But I know that will be therr tomorrow- not sure why that is. My first day of work is actually day 5, including the day of the surgery. So after 24 or so hours I'll try the warm heat. That worked great the last time. Any other ideas? Where are you now in relation to your surgery? I am amazed that the flipper doesn't move at all- it's very stable. I do ahve a lisp but will keep practicing to see if I can minimize that over the next couple of days.
Again, you have been a godsend. Until I began reading these posts I was a MESS! Best of everything to you!!!
Spandau

Old 06-19-2009, 05:48 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Spandau,

Congratulations on making it through! I knew you could do it!!

You'll lisp alot less in the coming days. It takes awhile to get used to having something different in your mouth, but it will come. I think anything new like that takes a bit of time and patience. Try saying the numbers from 60 to 70 backwards. If it's really hard, practice in front of a mirror so you can see how to form your words.
It took me about a week before I didn't have any lisp at all.

I am now all finished!! I got my final and permanent crowns cemented in just last week and am trying to get used to them..lisp and all. It's alot better this week than when they first went in though. It does take time.

As for your swelling. Be sure you sleep with your head elevated. My worse day was the third day. I was pretty swollen that day but took advantage of it and gave myself a good facial. Sort of making lemonade out of those lemons. The swelling went down quickly after that. I didn't really bruise at all except for a teeny bit near my nose. Make up covered it easily.

I'm sorry you can't take ibuprofen. I don't bruise easily so it helped me, but if you do bruise, the ibuprofen isn't all that important. The ice the first 24hrs and then moist heat after will help more than anything. The other thing you can do is rinse with very warm salt water for about 5 minutes 3x a day. That really helps.

I felt I was totally back to normal by the fifth and sixth day. I even went out to eat on day six....chicken and ribs!!

If I can help you with anything, let me know.
Again, congratulations on your success and my very best to you,

Gellia

Old 06-19-2009, 07:29 AM   #14
(female)

spandau HB User

Hi Ylhaishi,
A flipper is a partial denture that is removeable and usually used temporarily until a more permanenet fixture can be put in. In my case, it has the top 4 front teeth on it and is held to the roof of my mouth partly by suction but also because it fits snugly between the teeth to either side of it. I was afraid it would be loose and "flip-flopping" all about but it seems to be quite snug. It's possible that, as the swelling from the extractuions and placement of the implants up there goes down the flipper may loosen a bit. I am told if and when that happens they will adjust the "flipper" to stay more snugly again. The miracles of modern medicine! Good luck to you.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
(female)

spandau HB User

Thanks so much again! Yes, the swelling is worse than the first day- the surgery was 2 days ago. But I do have a lot of bruising despite all my efforst to avoid it. Make up can cover it pretty well but it doesn't seem to stay on. Oh well. I'm amazed that you didn't have any bruising. Also I did have a tremendous amount of stuff done- 8 extractions and 4 implants and then a flipper to get used to. . .
I'm glad you're all done- YEAH!!! Thanks again,
Spandau

Closed Thread