It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
(female)

Kasianni HB User
Enough pain!!!

Will try to make this short. I have a back molar, right side, that broke. Went to dentist to fix it, said had small cavity, but large fracture. Dentist fixed the tooth, told me might need root canal or removal of tooth if hurts. Went home, tooth hurt for a week, which it usually does after a dental visit. Thought it was normal. 2 weeks later, in way to much pain. Pain to touch tooth, around tooth and shooting pain up to ear. felt under jaw, lump the size of a grape there!! Freaked out!!! Went to dentist, had x-ray, hard to read, dentist says looks like abcess as well as an infection on the gum around the tooth because its very red and has a lump beside it. Dentist felt lump under jaw, said it was a gland that was swollen and it happens under jaw with infections. Gives me big dose of antibiotics to take for 10 days. 2 in 1 antibiotic so one helps the other. Take it for 10 days. Lump goes away beside tooth, pain still there!!! Lump under jaw still there but size of pea now. Called dentist and she didn't return my call so I went right away to my doctor. Doctor gave me another dose of antibiotics for 7 days, finish tomorrow. Still in pain at night and in the morning. Called dentist, removing the tooth next Thursday. Dont want root canal, fed up of pain, can't afford root canal, pulling the tooth. So my question is, why is the gland still swollen and how long does it take to go away???? Since I am treating the infection and abcess, am I ok to wait till next week to pull it. I have read that its dangerous and can spread to the heart and such. Please advise. Thanks so much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Enough pain!!!

You should be Ok as antibiotics are often prescribed a few days before the extraction of an infected tooth and may be continued for a few days afterwards as well. Even though the infection is now "controlled" so risk of it spreading is greatly reduced it is still present in the system so the glands may need a few weeks to return to their normal state once the tooth is removed.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
(female)

Kasianni HB User
Re: Enough pain!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise View Post
You should be Ok as antibiotics are often prescribed a few days before the extraction of an infected tooth and may be continued for a few days afterwards as well. Even though the infection is now "controlled" so risk of it spreading is greatly reduced it is still present in the system so the glands may need a few weeks to return to their normal state once the tooth is removed.
Well I had the tooth out on the 11th. Pain was gone when it unfroze and has not returned. However, the lump is still there and now I am freaking out!!!
It had been grape sized and now it has not changed. Still pea sized and I can move it. I am going to see the doctor soon but not for another 2 weeks. Do you think since I had a broken tooth for so long and then the infection that is why its taking so long to go away???

Closed Thread