It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
(male)

BobKnepper HB User
Extract slightly loose?

An upper incisor, #8, is very slightly wobbly but otherwise in fine condition. It can move maybe 1 mm = 1/32 inch at its tip. I go to a dental clinic and see different dentists so I have not established "one that I can trust". Am age 78. Dentist told me the tooth should be immediately extracted and replaced by an implant to avoid possible infection. Implant is not covered by insurance.

1.) Are there alternative treatments to extraction and an implant - such as inserting some "bone glue" which I don't know if it exists? Or might it tighten up with time? I don't know what caused it to become loose.

2.)Is there any critical timing to having the work done? It is not causing me any problems right now.

Thank you.

Bob - from Anaheim, Calif.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User
Re: Extract slightly loose?

Has the tooth been x-rayed? Did they say there was an abscess?
Were you offered a root canal treatment?This will cost much less than an implant.
In any case if the tooth is symptom-free apart from slight looseness it should be OK to leave it alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
(male)

Stribe HB User

1) Not likely, with mobility to the point a patient usually notices, there is no real option other than extraction. This is because mobility that large is due to bone loss, which is irreversible.
One very rare exception is heavy grinding on one tooth will cause it to become loose in the socket, removing the pressue and using a nightguard will help only if there is no bone loss.

2) If there is no cavity and its only the mobility, no, there is no need to rush. If there is an infection, its critical to remove it asap. Based on what info you have given, its likely a bone loss problem, so no rush.

If you are looking for a good dentist, try looking for a private office with only 1-2 dentists, ONLY one location. Large offices or multiple office practices have to focus on production to stay in business and are not as patient centered. Small private practice offices you will pay more for, but the service and trust you get is much better and very worth the price. This is because they are usually more interested in keeping a patient long term, rather than drill/fill/bill and drop.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User

i had a slightly mobile tooth, #7, due to bone loss and got a bone graft b/c i wasn't ready to commit to extraction and implant at age 32. Also not covered by insurance, but about half the price of an implant. I did that because they say implants can last at least 30 years, but I'm planning to live beyond 62

I rushed into it, because I worried that I would lose the tooth in a month, but from experience with bad bone loss, I can say that from now on, I will *always* get a second opinion when surgery is recommended.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribe View Post
If you are looking for a good dentist, try looking for a private office with only 1-2 dentists, ONLY one location. Large offices or multiple office practices have to focus on production to stay in business and are not as patient centered. Small private practice offices you will pay more for, but the service and trust you get is much better and very worth the price.
Sometimes the smaller private practice offices are average or below average cost due to being in older, less fancy, lower cost office buildings. Practices that have been around for a while may have long since paid for the startup costs of equipment and such, while having a steady business from returning patients, so they may have less incentive to overcharge or overtreat.

Closed Thread