It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
(female)

susan460 HB User
Gum burns after extraction

I had an upper molar pulled 10 years ago and afterwards had intense burning in the surrounding tooth, in front of it. I now had an upper eye tooth pulled 5 months ago and am having the same burning in the palate area. Does anyone know what causes this? If so, does it ever go away? I still occasionally get this sensation from he old tooth extraction area. I also had a bone graft done on this tooth in preparation for an implant which I didn't start yet.

Last edited by susan460; 06-16-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
(male)

JD57 HB User
Re: Gum burns after extraction

I have had many teeth pulled and the eye teeth are the worst. It took 6 to 8 months to completely feel better.
I don't know about the bone grafts. Bone buising can take a long time to go away.
Have you had them check for a nasal infection? I hurt all the way to the bottom of my eye from a nasal infection caused by the eye tooth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
(female)

susan460 HB User

Thanks for the reply, JD. I did not have my nose or sinuses checked but thinking of it. I have no real sign of a nasal infection though. Can you tell me what your symptoms were and did the dr or dentist say it traveled from your eye tooth to the nose? Did that happen before or after the extraction? I'm not sure what you meant when you said nasal infection caused by the eye tooth. Why did your eye tooth have to be extracted? I have also heard that the eye tooth is the worst. I also have had several other extractions and none took this long to stop being sore. Sorry for all the questions but it would put my mind at ease to hear someone else's experience. How did they treat the nasal infection...which antibiotic?

Old 06-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
(male)

JD57 HB User

The infection started in the root of the eye tooth. It wasn't discovered until the tooth just broke off even with the gum. I didn't have any sinus problems, it just traveled up there from the root of the tooth.
They pulled the root of the tooth out, a nightmare, and packed it full of gauze. After about 8 hours i had to pull the gauze out because of the pressure building up causing alot of pain. I pulled about 3 feet of gauze out of there.
I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the antibiotic, this happened in 1987.

Last edited by JD57; 06-18-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
(female)

susan460 HB User

I am so sorry to bug you with this but I am still not clear on this. You said you didn't have any sinus problems...do you mean before the extraction or after? You mentioned your infection going to the nose..which means your sinus (which leads to the nose). When you say, "It just traveled up there"...do you mean your nose, after the extraction was done or while you had the tooth infection? I really appreciate your feedback and glad you're ok now. What did you do to replace this tooth, bu the way? An implant or fixed bridge (or nothing)?

Old 06-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
(male)

JD57 HB User

The infection traveled to my sinus cavity next to my nose and below my eye before I knew anything was wrong. My tooth didn't even hurt until it broke off.
It never had anything to do with my nose itself.
To replace it I had to have a flipper for 6 months for the infection to drain and heal.
I then had a permanent (10 years) bridge installed.
I now have complete upper dentures and am glad to be rid of tooth pain forever.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
(female)

susan460 HB User

I also have a flipper but don't even bother to wear it. I can't talk or eat with it. One more question...when they made the bridge, did they have to attach it to your front tooth AND the other front tooth (of course, as well as the tooth on the other side)? They told me that the front tooth, being single rooted, would not be strong enough and they'd have to also use the other front tooth...and that's why they said just get an implant. You are lucky to have dentures. These toothaches are horrible.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
(male)

JD57 HB User

They attached the bridge to 2 teeth on one side and 1 tooth on the other.
I don't think they had inplants when I went through this, at least they didn't give me that option.
I don't know about being lucky to have dentures, the only good thing about them really is that I have no more pain.
I had to get dentures because all my upper teeth became loose from gum problems.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
(female)

susan460 HB User

JD, sorry to ask again but what I meant was did you use the two front teeth or just one front tooth to attach the bridge (and one back molar)? If you read my last post, I explain it...he said using one front tooth would not be strong enough so he'd have to also use the other front tooth, cut it down for the bridge. I don't know if you remember all this but if so, could you let me know?

Closed Thread