It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
(female)

tatsu15 HB User
upper front tooth infection and facial twitching

I got a root canal yesterday on my upper front tooth. I have been experiencing weird facial twitchness and tightness all over my face. I was not able to treat the infected tooth right away since I was pregnant so the bacteria may have spread.

The dentist cleaned it out and put me on 300 mg 3 times a day of clindamycin. I am wondering why isn't the tightness and twitching goign away yet? I have been on the antibiotics for more than 24 hrs. Would it be possible the infection spread since I left it untreated for so long and is causing me to have twitching. Not only in face but in hands arms legs and feet.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: upper front tooth infection and facial twitching

It could be the neuromusular pathway of the tooth's nerve has been affected meaning that since the nerve is being treated or deadend its causing a disruption of signaling to the brain. Some dental studies done on this theory suggest that the teeth send and recevie msgs to and from the brain and root canals scar the msg pathway they use - sometimes this can be a temporary situtation and as the body heals form the trauma of a root canal all muscle responses and functioing return to normal.

It could also be due to - if a novacaine injection was used - the injection or needle nicked a nearby nerve - but again over time the body will heal itself and this may go away.

Basically all nerves and muscles are related or connected to one another via the brain - so its not uncommon for an injured nerve in one part of the body to cause dysfunction in nerves and muscles in other parts of the body.

Also - check to see if any of this may be related to the antibiotic you are taking - it may be a side affect or an indication of a reaction to the the drug in which case it should subside once the doseage is stopped.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 06-16-2009 at 10:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
(female)

tatsu15 HB User

Thanks for the reply... it makes alot of sense. Do you think the bacteria has traveled to my sinus? My face still feels tight, pressure, twitching vibratiing sensation particulary in lips and nose area and cheeks. Don't know if the antibiotics are working.

The dentist did say the bacteria burrowed a hole in my gum and it doesn't seem like he drained my gums. All he did was a root canal. But I was expecting the facial sensations to go away while on antibiotics.... and it has not

Old 06-21-2009, 04:06 AM   #4
(female)

togetherwecan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsu15 View Post
I got a root canal yesterday on my upper front tooth. I have been experiencing weird facial twitchness and tightness all over my face. I was not able to treat the infected tooth right away since I was pregnant so the bacteria may have spread.

The dentist cleaned it out and put me on 300 mg 3 times a day of clindamycin. I am wondering why isn't the tightness and twitching goign away yet? I have been on the antibiotics for more than 24 hrs. Would it be possible the infection spread since I left it untreated for so long and is causing me to have twitching. Not only in face but in hands arms legs and feet.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:17 AM   #5
(female)

togetherwecan HB User

The twitches in the legs are odd, but I had 3 root canals in one morning, May 14th as a matter of fact. Now even though the Dentist turned out to be a quack. I went to a professional who tells if the work done on you was necessary, a long story, but he said my twitching was indeed the shots. In fact a week or so later I was still having nerves come back to life in my eye orbit, nose you name it. Since they were all on top and the "Dentist, I saw didn't hit the nerve to numb me until he just kept going until he hit it. I don't know for sure of course, but the "Georgia Dental Assoc.", is the one that sent me to the other Dentist to review the work. And he is the one who said the shots were doing that to me, and believe me even with one, and if your Dentist numbed you the first try your Brain doesn't recognize the actual pain and trauma you went through during a root canal since it doesn't experience it a lot, and between that and the shots, you'll twitch. Now that's what I was told, I don't have the letters beside my name, and now I know the "Dentist" that did mine, his "letters" -license was on probation for 7 years for being drunk while working on people. Just watch it, and if it starts feeling like everything is coming back to life in the areas of the twitching it's the shots. Good Luck to both of you.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
(female)

Erch HB User

also, you may look into him really cleaning the gums and canals again...a surgeon went in and had to do the same thing with cleaning out infection...also there may have been a part of the root left in by mistake

Closed Thread