It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

kakinlaw HB User
lost 3 bottom teeth

I am 47 years old, and 6 years ago I was in a abusive relationship, He put my head into his knee, and it caused me to have loose teeth on the bottom. Here is my problem, recently, 2 teeth just fell out, and a third one is getting looser and looser, Im sure it will be leaving me shortly. I have read that once you loose your 2 front or bottom teeth ( the front ones, not the back ) that then pressure is put on the next one, and then the next ( beside the ones that i lost ) from eating etc. Ive read that these soon will fall out.

I know nothing about dentists, or partials, or bridges. What is the difference, and will that stop the rest of my teeth from falling out?

Old 06-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
(female)

bringingyouhome HB User
Re: lost 3 bottom teeth

This is so terrible. What part of the US do you live in? Do you have a dentist? Maybe I can help. Visit here: www.affordablecoverate.us You need some expert advice on this problem. Hope this helps!!

Last edited by bringingyouhome; 06-26-2009 at 12:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
(female)

Becky2008 HB User
Re: lost 3 bottom teeth

Yikes, not a fun situation to be in. I don't think your other tooth is getting loose due to your losing the two front bottom teeth. I think, more likely, this tooth was also damaged when you were hit. When teeth get hit, the bone around the injured teeth can slowly resorb away. Here's what you need to do. Go to a dentist that you feel you will be comfortable with. They will take x-rays to look at the bone level of your remaining teeth and to see how much bone you have in the areas where the teeth are missing. Also, it sounds like you haven't been to a dentist for a long time, so I'd recommend getting some overall check up x-rays and a cleaning. It is possible that your teeth could be loose due to periodontal disease (gum disease), especially if you haven't been to a dentist for a long time. But, it's more likely that it's due to the trauma to your teeth.

Once they have a clear picture of things, the dentist will be able to give you some treatment options. The very best option that we have available for tooth replacement today is the dental implant. Without actually seeing you and your dental health, I can't tell you if these are an option for you, but they are wonderful. Dental implants basically consist of surgically placing one or more small screws (depending on how many teeth you are missing) into your jaw. The dentist is then able to permanently attach an artificial tooth (crown) to the implant. The crown is usually made of a strong metal core with tooth colored porcelain baked over it. They look very natural and are the closest thing to your actual teeth that we have. The deal is that you have to have enough bone to support these. If you don't, you may need bone grafts or may not be able to get them. The procedure sounds scary and painful, but really isn't a big deal. Another thing you should know is that they are quite expensive and are often not covered by insurance. Though, you may have a case to have them covered my health insurance since they were knocked out. It's not likely, but it's worth a try to get them to cover it.

Another option could be a bridge, but it sounds like you are going to be needing to replace at least three teeth, so this may not be an option. It just depends on your situation. Basically, for a bridge, we prepare (grind down and shape) the teeth on either side of the missing teeth, take an impression, send this to a lab, and then a few weeks later cement the bridge on. It is another permanent option, and the bridges are made of similar material as the implant crown. The main difference is that you are attaching the replacement teeth to your own teeth instead of the implants. This is a decent option but there a couple of downsides. First of all, you have to grind down at least two healthy teeth to attach the bridge to. Also, bridges don't last forever and if you don't have good home care and regular visits to your dentist, you can get decay on the teeth holding the bridge in place. That being said, bridges are used very commonly and many patients are very happy with them. These are less costly than implant because they don't require surgery, but they still require a lot of work and materials, so they are still something you will need to save for.

A partial is the other option you may have. This is basically a removable appliance that has clasps that will go around some of your teeth to hold it in place. Downfalls of this are mainly that it is not permanent and it can be hard to get used to. It's something you can take in and out and many patients don't like this. It is an option that some patients are perfectly happy with though. It is also the least expensive option.

So that's kind of a run down of the options you will likely have. If you do nothing and leave the space, you could have a few problems. The main problem would be that your other teeth could drift into the space causing a change in the appearance and function of your teeth. The other this is that having missing teeth just isn't pretty and most people don't like the looks of having missing teeth, especially front ones. And possibly more importantly, your smile could very well remind you of that traumatic time in your life. I really hope you are able to find a good dentist that you trust and fix this problem. I hope this has helped you. If you have any questions at all, please let me know.

Becky

Closed Thread