It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
(female)

fibrocrafter HB User
Lost 50 percent of root from braces?

I don't have gum disease, but have had braces twice. First for 4 years and next for 2 years. My front four teeth have always seemed mobile. I feel funny biting into an apple or something, so I've learned to bite with my bottom teeth. Had x-rays and they told me that I lost 50% of the root on those 4 teeth during orthodontic treatment. Is that normal?

Anyways, I've also been through mouth trauma about 10 years ago, and luckily I had my retainer in, or they said I would've lost my teeth. Basically it was a bad accident and the roof of my mouth and my left cheek was crushed, but I had my jaws wired and plates put in my face and got all fixed up. Plates have been removed and have had a new retainer fitted. Well, here I am about 10 years later and all of a sudden, on the left side, where that cheek was crushed....my teeth are becoming mobile. I can feel them moving when I chew gum. Also, I lifted my lip and saw major receding on that side of the top teeth. Am I going to lose my teeth on that side?

I also grit my teeth in my sleep and my dentist seems to think it's making my teeth mobile. What do I do? Why can people chomp on gum or bite food and it not make our teeth mobile, but gritting teeth will? I mean, our teeth are made for biting.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Lost 50 percent of root from braces?

Yes - clenching will or can make teeth mobile - the amount of force exerted by the jaws in clenching can have the same affect as wearing braces - the teeth will shift if it continues over a long enough period. It will also cause gums to shrink or recede and change the position of roots further adding to the mobility of the teeth.

Also when you chew food it does not continue hrs upon hrs and the contact of teeth is not directly to another tooth - its with food and the forces exerted during chewing are not as forceful as what occurs when clenching. That is why normal chewing does not cause teeth to shift.

Proper occlusion is what keeps teeth in place and not all ortho treatment takes that into consideration - most is geared toward aesthetics or appearance and not the underlying structure and the orthopedics of the patient's mouth - so what may look pleasing to the eye may not work with your anatomy or it could be the trauma caused more damage than what was initially identified and corrected and over time further evolved. Clenching is usually a sign of malocclusion or an imbalance in the bite or the inability for the jaw to find a comfortable resting position.

The good news is if you stop the clenching the teeth may stop shifting and will stablilze given the right conditions.

If possible you should find an orthodontist trained in tmj and functional jaw orthotics and have your bite evaluated.

The following user gives a hug of support to Thelma-Louise:
armywife2007 (04-19-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
(female)

fibrocrafter HB User
Re: Lost 50 percent of root from braces?

Oh, thank you so much for the reply. I feel hopeful now. You were very helpful and I wasn't expecting even this much information from a response. I'm going to get an evaluation, cause I don't want to lose my teeth.

Closed Thread