It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
(female)

hhmom81 HB User
5 days since tooth extracted.. still hurts.

Hi, I'm 28. I had a baby tooth extracted Wednesday of last week. July 22nd. My mouth still hurts. The bottom left of my mouth up to my jaw bone on the left. I still have a pretty descent sized whole where this tooth once was. I also have some white on it. I am ASSUMING this is where my gums are healing?? Is this correct? And should my mouth still hurt? Also the gum area on the tooth next to the one that was extracted looks like it is split. Should I be concerned or will this eventually heal?

Old 07-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
(male)

Stribe HB User
Re: 5 days since tooth extracted.. still hurts.

I would suggest you go back to your dentist to see what is going on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
(female)

sraha1 HB User

It sounds to me like you might have gotten dry socket. Did you use a straw or smoke since the extraction?

Old 07-31-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
(female)

hhmom81 HB User

Dry Socket?? I don't smoke. I have used straws. What does that do?

Old 07-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hi,

Dry socket can occur following extraction if the scab gets dislodged from the tooth socket. This is why dentists recommend that you do not smoke or suck through straws following extraction. Dry socket can be very painful, because the nerve is not protected by the scab, leaving it exposed. Dry socket is typically not seen in baby tooth extractions, but I'm sure it is possible. Get back to your dentist, and have them take a look. Good luck!

Old 08-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
(female)

hhmom81 HB User

Thank you so much for that info. My dentist never said anything about not smoking or using a straw. Just that it would hurt at the injection sites for the novacaine. And to swish with salt water for the bleeding.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
(female)

MJHall08 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmom81 View Post
Hi, I'm 28. I had a baby tooth extracted Wednesday of last week. July 22nd. My mouth still hurts. The bottom left of my mouth up to my jaw bone on the left. I still have a pretty descent sized whole where this tooth once was. I also have some white on it. I am ASSUMING this is where my gums are healing?? Is this correct? And should my mouth still hurt? Also the gum area on the tooth next to the one that was extracted looks like it is split. Should I be concerned or will this eventually heal?

Old 08-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
(female)

MJHall08 HB User

Ok-here's my two cents...if you KNOW for a fact you have an adult tooth underthere, number 1) You DON'T have a dry socket, because a dry socket comes when the clot that is formed after a tooth is pulled is lost (by suction usually, which is why they tell you after an extraction not to smoke, spit or use a straw), and this leaves the NERVE in the bone left under your gum open to air, thus the term DRY SOCKET, and it is INCREDIBLY PAINFUL..(This happened to my on the day of my High School Graduation, so I know, and remember like it was yesterday, and it wasn 't even close!)
My nineteen year old daughter (see, did I lie?) just lost a baby tooth, but had an adult one coming in right under it, which not surprisingly, is white, and is also bigger than the prior baby tooth so is a bit painful as it is splitting the gum area and pushing against the existing adult teeth. We also found out she still has two other baby teeth that have no underlying adult teeth, so it happens.
So, if you KNOW there is an adult tooth, it sound like what is happening is supposed to happen. HOWEVER, I am NOT a Dentist, just been to them more than the average bear and have had my kids there a lot so they wouldn't have my adult experiences, and if you have any concerns, you should at least call them if not go back (hint: they don't often charge for a phone call and most dentists will call you back themselves).
Hope that helps!

Closed Thread