It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
(female)

librarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB User
Anybody ever remove a tooth with a root canal?

I need to extract my root canal because I found out I have 4 roots and only the first 3 roots were filled back in 2001. An implant is looming in my near future and I don't know how I should remove my root canalled tooth #14.

My question is whether I should go to an oral surgeon or a biologic dentist to remove it. I read that root canalled teeth cannot just go through a simple extraction because the periodontal ligament must also be removed in order to stimulate the formation of new bone. If the ligament is not removed, there will still be lymphocytes of autoimmune disease embedded into the bone and good bone healing will never be achieved.

I contacted a biological dentist and their charge is $1300! What?! My oral surgeon is charging about $200 but he doesn't remove any ligaments since he is not worried about cavitations.

I am not saying that my root canalled tooth caused me to have Hashimoto's disease but I don't want anything in my bones causing more autoimmune issues in the future.

Can anybody speak from experience? Will this also create problems with an implant in the bone?

Thanks in advance! There's too many opposing views on this on the Internet and it's making me even more confused.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User
Re: Anybody ever remove a tooth with a root canal?

Here we have a good example of the downside of the internet.
Get your tooth out for $200 from the oral surgeon, and don't worry about the periodontal ligament, that will come out when the tooth is removed.
The only problem with extracting root filled teeth is that they tend to be brittle and often come out in multiple pieces.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptoff View Post
Here we have a good example of the downside of the internet.
Get your tooth out for $200 from the oral surgeon, and don't worry about the periodontal ligament, that will come out when the tooth is removed.
The only problem with extracting root filled teeth is that they tend to be brittle and often come out in multiple pieces.
Dumb question from me, how does the periodontal ligament connect to the tooth? I thought that was part of the jaw or something?

Old 08-07-2009, 01:10 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User

The periodontal ligament consists of fibres which connect the tooth to the bone. Removing the tooth without the perio ligament cannot be done.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:01 AM   #5
(female)

AThena53 HB UserAThena53 HB User

I've had root-canalled teeth removed a few times. Once was on vacation in Budapest with novocaine- it was a clean extraction and I was back on the street sightseeing half an hour later. I had a couple removed because they were too decayed to save and would be replaced by implants- they were both removed in the same visit under general anaesthetic by a very good oral surgeon. No problems afterwards at all. The oral surgeon mentioned the same thing you did- that root-canalled teeth tend to be brittle and are harder to remove. I was blissfully snoozing, though, so I have no idea how it went.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
(female)

Thanks Riptoff for the info. Why do all of these holistic dentists talk about ligament and cavitations. I hope my abscess hasn't spread to my jawbone or anything and that my implant will hold in the future.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AThena53 View Post
I've had root-canalled teeth removed a few times. Once was on vacation in Budapest with novocaine- it was a clean extraction and I was back on the street sightseeing half an hour later. I had a couple removed because they were too decayed to save and would be replaced by implants- they were both removed in the same visit under general anaesthetic by a very good oral surgeon. No problems afterwards at all. The oral surgeon mentioned the same thing you did- that root-canalled teeth tend to be brittle and are harder to remove. I was blissfully snoozing, though, so I have no idea how it went.
Thanks for your experience Athena53. Did you replace them with implants?

Old 08-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
(female)

AThena53 HB UserAThena53 HB User

The extraction done in Budapest has been covered with a bridge. The other 2 were replaced with implants, which are working fine. I've had them for about a year.

Closed Thread