It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
(male)

timpa HB User
Question Advice for after getting all my teeth pulled at once

Hello Everyone.....

A long story short, in sept some time I will be getting a Cspine operation, and needed some work done on my teeth. I told the dentist I needed to make sure there would be no infections, for when I got my Cspine ( myelopathy ) operation done. I asked if they could all be pulled, that I could not chew food right even anymore, and he agreed and sent me to a OS.

So on the 24th of this month the OS, will be pulling all my teeth at once. I will be awake for the whole time and get gum injections, so I can make the one hour drive home afterwards. I have the medicare card and it's the close OS, that takes the card one of very few and I had to paid $50 for the first visit at that, the good news is it's only $3 copay for each tooth $63.

He said that it would be hard as there is lots of bone there yet, he give me 50 lortab 10/500 and some penicillin VK 500 mg I got filled already. He kind of harried me up as he took Xrays and all, and wanted to touch base with me and give me the meds. Nice OS he said to wash my mouth out after eating, with salt water or weak rise because stuff will get into the gums. He also said, he would put dissolvable stitches since I had to come so far.

I need advice on a few things here, I'm not sure what I will be able to eat. Other then no hard stuff at all, my brother said I'll have to use the roof of my mouth, and tongue to smush food at first. What can I eat and how soon can I use my gums, to gum food and also what can I do to help my gums heal faster ???

Anything I should know and/or anything, that would be helpful to me ???

Thanks! Tim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2009, 12:57 AM   #2
(male)

timpa HB User
Re: Advice for after getting all my teeth pulled at once

Well I talked to some people that had all their teeth pulled out, they said about 2 to 3 weeks to the gums heal. Rise with salt water after every meal, and eat only soft stuff that has no little parts to it. So none gets stuck in the gums, they said don't use a straw or smoke a cig for 3 days or so. That the sucking can make a dry socket, and that it's very bad pain if you get dry socket.

They said to drink some ensure and eat banana's, and use the blender to blend some food up as well. Also to not try and use my gums for 2 weeks or more, that if I used them it would take longer to heal right. And that if I get really bad pain to get back to the dentist, as it could be a infection or dry socket and both was very bad to have.

At any rate on the 24th they all come out, I'll be driving home and start taking the lortab 10/500's once I'm home. I was told it should not be very painful after 2 to 3 days, the dentist give me 50 of the lortabs. I'm getting my self some herbal supplements as well, to help boost my healing power.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

I agree salt water rinses, and whey protein shakes, ensure plus has vits, oj or vit c and healing, drink lots of water, and rest. I had immediate teeth put in so it was kinda the same stuff. It is just imp. to rinse mouth after drinking stuff to keep it clean.

Curious, some OS take medicare, I have been paying out of pocket.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
(male)

timpa HB User

No they will not take medicare but will take medicaid, I have both medicaid and medicare, and medicaid is only used for dentist anymore.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

timpa,

A few more ideas...do not skimp on the time you spend without smoking or using a straw. I think 5- 7 days is much safer, to avoid dry socket. You don't want to risk it, period.

As far as soft foods that will get you by...Rice, Mashed potatoes, gravy, jello, pudding, milk shakes ( spoon only ), yogurt, cottage cheese, canned fruit (mashed), yams (mashed), baby foods, smoothies, soft serve, soup, spaghetti o's, pasta, noodles, broth, consume',...to name a few.

You want to have a stock of a variety of things, because you do not want to tire of your foods, or skip food groups.

Fortunately, the mouth heals very quickly, if you are careful, and take your time. The dry socket is your biggest foe, so do not smoke (if you do), until the danger is passed. Ask your dentist.

I wish you well.

Last edited by writeleft; 08-16-2009 at 12:34 AM.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:29 AM   #6
(male)

timpa HB User

I got some vitamin E oil to use, and some stuff called Rincinol oral rise. I'm thinking I can use the rincinol and salt to rise the first few days, then use vitamin E and salt water after that till it heals.

From what I have heard the rincinol coats and make the gums feel better, and protects them so most likely a good bed time rise. And I will use salt water during the day after eating, after a few days I can use salt water during the day and vitamin E at night.

Closed Thread