It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
(male)

jujumbura HB User
Question Filling came loose, how long till infection?

Hello all,

Just the other day I had a filling come loose on one of my molars as I was flossing ( oh the irony! ). The tooth in question has been filled a few times, and the filling that came loose sits towards the next tooth back, going about half-way down the tooth. I suppose it wasn't completely flush, as my floss grabbed it on the way up and pulled it out of position. It did not completely come off the tooth and I think it may still be partially attached ( it only flipped up on the side where the floss passed it ).

Anyway, my story is the same as a lot of folks I think; currently I have no dental insurance as I am between jobs, but I will hopefully have one in the next month. The tooth doesn't hurt currently, and I have tried to put the filling back into the original position. Here's what I'm really wondering:

1) How long before infection starts to get into my tooth now that the filling has come undone? Will I be able to wait a month to get this fixed, or will I end up with a throbbing tooth and a root canal?

2) If I CAN wait it out, are there foods or activities I should avoid ( other than the obvious like chewing taffy )?

3) If I CANNOT wait it out, is there decent temporary dental insurance out there that I could use to get the filling redone? I'm a bit skeptical, as even when I had insurance I had to pay a hefty premium to get fillings done.

Thanks much for any advice! The tooth doesn't seem like it's in trouble yet, but I am worried that if I don't deal with it, it will become a much bigger problem quickly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
(male)

timpa HB User
Re: Filling came loose, how long till infection?

You can buy stuff to refill the tooth the filling come out of, they have it in drug stores.

Closed Thread