It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User
How can I get pop-corn out of my gum???

I have what appears to be a pop-corn kernel stuck inside my gum. I am not talking about between my teeth or in a place where I can try to floss or brush it out, but somehow it got between my teeth and when trying to get it out, eventually got embedded inside my gum. I have a big lump above the tooth. At first I wasn't sure what it was. My dentist just sold his practice (suddenly so I am in the process of finding a new dentist) so I went to my doctor who said it looked like an injury. When looking at it with a flashlight DH and I figured out it was a pop-corn kernel and I had recently eaten pop-corn. Its been there for about 2 weeks. I am not in major pain, but it is sore and annoying. Is there anything I can do to get it out without going to the dentist right away? My doctor did give me a script for antibiotics IF I need them in the meantime. I hate the thought of having gum surgery and paying for it, just to get a piece of pop-corn out of my gum.

Advice?

Nancy

Old 09-04-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: How can I get pop-corn out of my gum???

I had that happen to me a very long time ago too - it took me almost week from the point I realized what it was to get it out. Partly I think it eased itself out on its own naturally as I had a feeling like something was wedged in between my teeth for several days but could not see or feel anything - so I just kept flossing, brushing and using a water pik - once I did finally feel something there though I started using the edge of a tweezer and then finally went and bought one those dental scrappers they sell and eventually I did get it out and was just so surprised at how large it was - it seemed to have somehow just slipped downward around the tooth into the gum and was just so thin its no wonder it took so much time for it to make its presence known - my gums didn't even become inflamed and seemed pretty hard even with it in there.

I think normal chewing and dental hygiene and some persistance on your part will help you get it out without seeing a dentist. You could also try rinsing with warm salt water as that tends to 'draw" out impurities, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

a water pic will work....it shoots water out and can get under the gum

Old 09-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Thanks you guys, but its really not something that can be flossed or squirted out. Its literally INSIDE of my gum, like there is skin over it. When I pull up my lip I can see a lump and if you look at it with a flashlight you can see the outline of a pop-corn kernel. You can actually see the orange and yellow IN there when shining a flashlight on it. It is high up too, almost to where my upper lip connects with my gum. I have never heard of this happening to anyone. I have done so many searches on the internet and haven't found anything that sounds exactly like what has happened to my gum. Its just so weird. Unless I can soften it up and dig or squeeze it out of the actual gum, I think I may have to give in and go to the dentist.

Nancy

Closed Thread