It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
(female)

usmcwife75 HB User
Adult Braces/mild TMJ/shifting teeth

I have mild TMJ which only seems to flare when I am stressed out and clenching my teeth a lot. I have wanted braces for some time now to fix my spaced top front 4 teeth that are now starting to shift because of the spaces and or TMJ. I thought it would be a good time since my daughter will be getting hers on as well and we could do it together and keep journals of our experiences.

I have been doing a lot of reading online since last week and have to admit I am a bit scared. The DDS/MS never said that it was going to fix my TMJ but he did think that it may fix my bite that he feels is causing a lot of the problems with the TMJ. I didn't get a second opinion because he is one of the best and comes highly recommended in Hawaii, which is hard enough to find living here.

I guess what I would like to know maybe is what to expect? Are they going to hurt? Will I feel my teeth moving because I can now sometimes when they are shifting badly? I wanted to go with invisilign but he didn't recommend that since he said he really wanted to work on my bite more, and those weren't going to help the bite as much as good old braces would. I also had a root canal on one of my fronts, will that tooth move?

I am also afraid that my husband is going to freak out when he comes home from deployment since he has no clue. He knows I was thinking about getting them with our daughter and that's all. Will I need to relearn how to kiss him? Which may be a fun thing to do as long as it isn't like the 14 year old boy I kissed in high school who made me turn my head every which way known to man to help him try to kiss me better with braces... what a nightmare.

So, any thoughts would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Angela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread