It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
(female)

NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User
Lightbulb Crown fell out while flossing! :o(

I'm sure lost crowns have been addressed here myriad times so I hope nobody minds me starting a thread. I just want to know what my chances are of having the crown glued back in & the cost? I plan to call dentist in the morning (not the same dentist who did the crown in 1995). I had 2 crowns put in back in '95 & the first fell out out two years later & I didn't bother to see if it could be "saved." I've always regretted that & am hoping for a different situation with this crown. Any advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User
Re: Crown fell out while flossing! :o(

Mine have always been glued back in. The cost was $125 and they saw me the same day I called, even though I would have waited.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
(female)

Lightbulb Re: Crown fell out while flossing! :o(

That's great news although I was hoping it would not cost so much.. (thankfully I have my $250 stimulus check!) It looks like there is still some tooth there so is that a good thing? I can't make it to the dentist today (Monday) even if there's an opening. How long did you wait for your crowns to get replaced? Just wondering if there's a 'time limit.' I can't believe a crown that's been there for 14 years just up & falls out!

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!!

Old 09-14-2009, 05:40 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

Mine was done the same day. A crown is just glued in with epoxy. It can come off. You have to be careful flossing around a crown. And the kinds of food you eat. Nothing sticky like caramels or taffy.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Mine cost $75 to replace, but my insurance paid some on it. (can't remember) Mine was also a different dentist that put the crown on.

I don't know why the large cost though; it took about 5 minutes to do!

But I would think if it were a dentist you were using for your usual care & checkups, they would give you a better price.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
(female)

Lightbulb Re: Crown fell out while flossing! :o(

Great information! Thanks so much!
I have an appt. Tuesday at 8:20 a.m. Got the crown wrapped in tissue in my purse & ready to go. Five minutes & $75 ? I'm hoping that will be me too!

I don't have dental insurance anymore. I bought a policy off the internet that looked good, back in 2003. Unfortunately, after paying $28 a month, when I finally tried to use it in late 2005 it would not pay for the filling or even a cleaning. My dentist suggested I cancel it. Still bummed about the money I wasted!!!

Old 09-19-2009, 11:22 PM   #7
(female)

Thumbs down Re: Crown fell out while flossing! :o(

Saw dentist last Tuesday as scheduled. He was optimistic about the crown being put back. I had an X-ray done. The dentist began preparing to put in the sealant but stopped & said it was a "no go." There was too much decay down inside where the root canal had been done back in 1995. So the remaining piece of tooth was pulled & I spent $205!!
I was seriously bummed but it is what it is.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:51 AM   #8
(female)

blunj56 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTSONUTSO View Post
I'm sure lost crowns have been addressed here myriad times so I hope nobody minds me starting a thread. I just want to know what my chances are of having the crown glued back in & the cost? I plan to call dentist in the morning (not the same dentist who did the crown in 1995). I had 2 crowns put in back in '95 & the first fell out out two years later & I didn't bother to see if it could be "saved." I've always regretted that & am hoping for a different situation with this crown. Any advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-08-2010, 05:52 AM   #9
(female)

blunj56 HB User

Do yourself a favor and have it taken care of immediately the seal is now broken and decay will set in and that can hinder having the crown re cemented.

Closed Thread