It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
(female)

openarmz5 HB User
what does it mean to have a lump in your gums and you have not had a root canal yet

what does it mean to have a lump in your gums and you have not had a root canal yet

Old 09-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: what does it mean to have a lump in your gums and you have not had a root canal y

What kind of lump? If it is like a bony growth it could be a tori.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2009, 05:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: what does it mean to have a lump in your gums and you have not had a root canal y

Hi,
If the lump is sore to pressure it probably is an abscess. If so, eventually it will find a way to the surface via a fistula and will drain itself. If it can't form a fistula you will know shortly if it's an infection as acute pain will be your next symptom.

As openarmz5 said it could also be a tori which is a bony growth that many people have. They don't bother you unless they are in a place where a denture would have to rest or they interfere with your teeth or bite.

If what you have is an abscess, PLEASE go to a dentist and have it checked.
Infection just doesn't go away. It just stays there painlessly and silently eats away at the bone structure that holds your tooth in. Eventually enough will dissolve and the tooth will become loose and a lost cause. If you don't stop it it will spread to other teeth via the periodontal ligament and the bone will dissolve around them, too.

I just had to have four implants because of a silent infection that started as a small lump on the gum of one tooth. It didn't bother me,.....so I didn't bother it (total dental phobic here).
Then I walked into a plate glass door and had to go. When I went to the dentist I found out exactly how far along that infection had become.

It was a very long, emotionally and financially draining process to fix what a simple check up and cleaning would have done.

Please don't let fear stop you from having this lump checked!
It's better now while the lump is new than to wait until it's later and the bone has become involved. Now is the time for NO FEAR!~
You can do it, too.

My very best to your good dental health!
Gellia

Old 12-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
(female)

Erch HB User

infection.

Closed Thread