It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
(male)

mrmusicman79 HB User
Severe Sore Throat with Tooth Problems

I'm not sure if these two problems are related, or in which forum this message belongs, so I'm going to post this in two forums and hopefully get some advice.
My problem began about two weeks ago, when I started having some discomfort in my upper right teeth. They started getting sensitive to hot and cold, and when it got bad enough I finally saw my dentist. He could find nothing wrong with the teeth I perceived to be aching, but suspected "referred pain" from a bad wisdom tooth at the back. I also have a cavity near that same wisdom tooth which I haven't had filled yet (three years after it was found). I'm scared of such procedures which is why I've kept putting them off. Anyway, he prescribed an antibiotic which he claimed would cure the infection, though he recommended I have the badwisdom tooth out ASAP. I started taking the antibiotic on Thursday (a 10-day prescription), but by Sunday the pain was even worse. The pain seems to move back and forth and even jumps to the lower teeth, though it always stays on the right side of my face. It's worth noting that the worst of it seems to be when I'm lying down - during the day, the pain usually recedes to more tolerable levels. But I can't afford to be deprived of sleep! I'm considering making a follow-up appointment with the dentist but I want to get some advice here first.
The problem has since become even more complicated and far more painful. Within two days of starting the antibiotic for my tooth, I started to get a sore throat on the LEFT side. By Sunday it was so severe that swallowing is pure torture, causing tremendous pain to travel all the way up my ear canal. I have had such sore throats before when getting a cold, but by now I usually have other symptoms of a cold as well, which I currently do not.
It's important to note a history of problems with my left ear. For a couple years now, I've had problems with that eustachian tube, causing me to hear my own breathing etc, dizziness, popping, and on rare occasions a severe distortion of sound (music sounds off-key, even nauseating) This ear hasn't bothered me for some time, but has been quite bad in the 2-3 weeks leading up to this climax of problems.
I can only hope that somebody here will be able to offer me advice. I can get to a dentist easily enough, but I can't get to my GP for at least 3 weeks (that's Canadian health care for you). I don't think I can stand another 3 weeks of this. I'm in complete agony, unable to eat or sleep much, and I basically just don't feel like doing anything at all. I just can't take much more. I don't know if the two problems or related or not, or what kind of medical professional I should be seeking help from.
In the meantime, I sincerely hope somebody here may have some insight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Severe Sore Throat with Tooth Problems

If you can you should get another opinion but it sounds like referral pain and chances are its stemming from the wisdom tooth. B/c of the pain you could be sleeping and breathing with your mouth open which would cause a sore throat or it could also be a side affect of the antibiotic perhaps causing dry mouth. Wisdom teeth do have a way of causing ear and sometimes sinus problems b/c of their proximity to them. Also leaving a tooth with a cavity untreated for 3 yrs can allow an infection to develop and spread and threaten the longevity of the tooth so you should have that taken care of to ensure no future problems with it.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 10-06-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
(male)

mrmusicman79 HB User

After having taken the antibiotic for over a week, the problem has only gotten worse. The pain, instead of moving around like it was, is now pretty much coming straight from the wisdom tooth itself. The pain is at times severe, radiating through the whole side of my face. I intend to see a dentist ASAP, but it's Saturday right now and the offices are closed for the long weekend. Even then, I don't know when I can get an appointment. The only other option is go to to out-patients at the hospital and wait 4 to 8 hours or more to be treated - something I really don't want to do.
I figure the wisdom tooth must be abcessed. It can't be an infection because the antibiotic didn't do anything at all. Is there anything I can do temporarily relieve the pain, until I can get to a dentist?

Old 10-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
(male)

mrmusicman79 HB User

I should note that laying down seems to intensify the problem - very cruel indeed since it robs me of much-needed sleep. Also there is no swelling in my face, which I'm told I would have if the tooth really is abcessed.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Call the office - most drs have emergency numbers listed on their answering machine if they do not have a live person answering service - this will at least allow you to speak with the dr - or another colleague may be on standby for emergencies - but you won't know unless you call.

It could be the antibiotic was not strong enough to have any affect on the infection or the infection is "trapped" and can not drain out - that is what usually causes the pain - the build-up of toxins at the infection site.

You could try some clove oil or rinsing with warm salt water - the salt in the water can draw out the infection and perhaps try taking advil or aleve for the pain.

Closed Thread