It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
(male)

onnion HB User
i had 2tooth extraction 3 weeks ago. why do i wake up with my mouth full of blood?

The tooth extractions were actually 2 wisdom teeth removal.
my top and bottom left side wisdom teeth (3rd molar i think its called) were pulled out. The bottom one required drilling surgery which segmented the tooth which took an hour. THIS WAS 3 WEEKS AGO.

this INTENSE bleeding in the mouth when i wake up in the morning has been going on for several days. its getting worse everyday. its definetly coming from the extraction area because i can see it in the mirror, thte area is deep red with blood gushing out. but i experience very little pain. i called my dentist and went to c her for checkup yesterday. my dentist did not diagnose me w/ dry socket . she could not find an explanation for it, she said it looks like its healing slowly. she offered me to buy some teeth gel, but its useless. im starting to feel that they dont have their best interest in me. (just my $)

The gel the dentist sold to me yesterday is called oxyfresh super releif formula (1 oz.). product link here: < edited >
i just phoned the receptionist this afternoon and they refuse to c me today, but they just said to kepp using gauze and the gel and call back tomorrow ONLY if its worse. (but the gel is not really helping to stop the bloodflow. thats NOT its purpose according to its description!)

BY THE WAY right now its not bleeding at all. it stopped after about 3 or 4 hours of intense bleeding and biting hard on gauze, and applying the gel around 1pm today. (but tomorrow when i wake up it will most likely bleed intesely again.)

is my dentist bad? shoud i go c a different dentist for a 2nd opinion? why is my mouth stil bleeding after so long?? why is it getting worse? should i c a doc to find out? im freakin out. most importantly in this late evening (11pm now), how do i at LEAST prevent myself from having my mouth from intensely bleeding when i wake up tomorrow?! start sleeping while elevating my head??

HELP.

Last edited by hb-mod; 10-20-2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
(male)

onnion HB User
Red face Re: i had 2tooth extraction 3 weeks ago. why do i wake up with my mouth full of blood

Update/Bump:
The bleeding is getting so much worse. now, everytime i lie my head down to sleep even for half hour i wake up to a pool of blood on my pillow and blankets...i think this is odd since the lower wisdom extraction was about 4 weeks ago. anybody got advice or similar things happening to them like this before?

Old 10-25-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
(female)

charlottefr HB User
Re: i had 2tooth extraction 3 weeks ago. why do i wake up with my mouth full of blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnion View Post
Update/Bump:
The bleeding is getting so much worse. now, everytime i lie my head down to sleep even for half hour i wake up to a pool of blood on my pillow and blankets...i think this is odd since the lower wisdom extraction was about 4 weeks ago. anybody got advice or similar things happening to them like this before?
Has the bleeding stopped, onnion? If not, then it is probably a good idea to get a second opinion from an oral surgeon. Did an oral surgeon do the surgery on your wisdom teeth or was it your regular dentist? It doesn't sound right that you have so much bleeding 3 weeks after the extractions...and your dentist should not have said that they don't want to see you. Part of their job, imo, is to provide adequate post-care after procedures.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
(male)

onnion HB User
Question update/re:charlottefr, and another Question!

last 24hrs update
The last 24 hours there was a strange but miraculous improvement in terms of bloodflow from the wisdom tooth area. I am FINALLY able to get some sleep since the last few days. The HUGE gaping hole where the blood gushed out was slowly covered in black/red solid stuff, then it all turned all white a just an hour ago. i think that is a blood clot forming (finally). Those days, I lost about half a cup of blood everytime I woke up (which was scary!). Now i lost only several drops after I woke up this morning.

re:charlottefr
Yea, I was surprised the secreatary refused to make an appointment for me even though my "bloody" symptoms never stopped. She basically said to keep taking the gel and gauze she gave me and dont call back unless it gets worse. She sound hurried with and looking down tone, too
The dentist who sugically removed my tooth was just a regular dentist. This is the first time i ever met him too. i had a really bad feeling when he dentist complained to his assistant that the level of difficulty for my extraction was very high. He said that several times. In my mind, I was like after that. This dentist is located in my local mall and is part of a "dental group" from HK. Looking back, the way they genuinely expressed interest in my health and not my $, the level of professionalism they expressed to me when i asked questions, and the level of interpersonal skills as a doctor to patient, was overall very bad. Needless, to say, I will NEVER go back to this dentist again.

By the way I asked around on the internet and I asked a oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I explained to him my problem. He says the dentist who did my tooth surgery ruptured the blood vessel and didnt seal it properly! this oviously is due to his lack of skill! He recommended me to change my dentist and see a board certififed oral surgeon ASAP.

Ill have to go back and see my ex-dentist regularly even though he is 2 hours away from where I live. I never encountered ANY problem with my previous dentist but hes far from where I live now. And i seen him for 10+ years since i was a preteen!
I am getting a second opinion from him just in case, because I fear it might start bleeding again.

My advice to others is this:
Before you switch to a new dentist, make sure he/she is a professional. ask for his diploma or how many sucessful surgeries hes done, how many years hes parctised.
Possibly ask for a checkup from him and get to know him/her professionaly first.
If you get a bad feeling for any reason about the dentist youve never seen before, get out. For example, when I was searching for a new one in my area, I went to a random dentist office and just casually striked up a conversation with a dentist because he was in the waiting room, and eventuially when I asked if he's accepting new patients, he quickly asked seriously, "Well depends, do you have insurance??" (lol.)

If anyone has any advice for those looking for a new GOOD dentist feel free to hijack this thread to post about it! I would like to know your advice on what i should look for when searching for a professional and possibly even friendly dentist in my area??? There are so many dentist where I live.

Closed Thread