It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 03:40 AM   #1
(female)

Magarietha HB User
why does dentist say i cannot have implant after extraction of front tooth

Hi
Plse HELP! A dental surgeon fixed an abses on a front tooth (21) and said because the root has a vertical fracture, it's got to be pulled and that it's not suitable for an implant. Hey? Why not? Aren't implants exactly directed at missing teeth? I really don't want a bridge on a front upper tooth.
What now? I am really saddened. I am 53 years old - I DID look after my teeth but due to severe asthma I had tons of antibiotics as a child plus steroid treatments. thus I have had loads of work in dentist chairs. Would really appreciate.

Last edited by Magarietha; 10-22-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
(female)

misty57 HB User
Re: why does dentist say i cannot have implant after extraction of front tooth

Did he say why you could not get an implant? Misty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
(female)

AThena53 HB UserAThena53 HB User

I agree with misty- if the dentist hasn't told you, ask. Some reasons that come to mind- you're a smoker (they have more problems with implants), you're on meds to strengthen your bones (some cause osteonecrosis, or rot in the jawbone), it's a top tooth and the root is too close to the sinus cavity. That last may apply only to molars; I'm not that familiar with how everything fits together in the head. DH has an upper molar that can't be replaced by an implant because they're afraid they'll accidentally drill into the sinus cavity, which causes something called "dry socket".

You can always get a second opinion, but if your dentist gives you somesolid reasons, anyone who says they can do it anyway should be viewed with caution.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:42 AM   #4
(female)

pancpain HB User

I believe the problem you are facing is that the DDS can't place the implant until the absess/infection is resolved. Also there may be damage to the bone caused by the absess. If this is the case you may need a graft done to support an implant. Or if there isn't enough bone to support an implant. This is a pretty easy fix from what I've heard. If any of these are true it's just a matter of time. You can have an inplant placed @ a later date when the problem is resolved. I currently have 1 implant which was placed right after the tooth was pulled. So this is pretty normal procedure. Call your DDS back and ask why they don't want to place the implant? If they just tell you they can't place one take any x-rays etc... and get a second opinion. There are videos on you tube that answer this question and show implants being placed. There are also mini-implants which can be place right away and they can crown it right away. Google mini- dental implant or search you-tube they are listed in both places. I hope this helps you! I am currently in the same position. I have a tooth that has just absessed after a previous root canal failed. I want it pulled and replaced but the cost here in the US has sky rocketed! My previous implant was 1000$ plus 800$ for the crown. They are now charging anywhere from $2000-$4000!!! Not including the crown! Good Luck!

Old 01-09-2010, 04:15 AM   #5
(female)

mamacat1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magarietha View Post
Hi
Plse HELP! A dental surgeon fixed an abses on a front tooth (21) and said because the root has a vertical fracture, it's got to be pulled and that it's not suitable for an implant. Hey? Why not? Aren't implants exactly directed at missing teeth? I really don't want a bridge on a front upper tooth.
What now? I am really saddened. I am 53 years old - I DID look after my teeth but due to severe asthma I had tons of antibiotics as a child plus steroid treatments. thus I have had loads of work in dentist chairs. Would really appreciate.
H-m-m. I would get a second opinion. I discussed molar implants with my dentist recently, and I don't have any idea why the front tooth wouldn't take an implant. Maybe it has something to do with the instability of the gum tissue. It could have something to do with the amount of pressure you would put on the implant when you bite something hard. Ask your dentist why. Then ask another dentist. I would go with the bridge; I think it's your best choice.

I am 59 and have been "blessed" with soft teeth; therefore, my second home is my dentist's office. I have many crowns (I feel like royalty ; also, several missing molars. I considered dentures, but decided that I probably wouldn't like those. When I figure out how to pay for them, I will probably buy implants. They are around $3,000 each. Luckily, my front teeth have crowns, but someday they may need to be replaced, then I will have to make that choice again. Oh, the wonderful world of bad teeth!

Old 01-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
(female)

Magarietha HB User

Thanx so much for replying - really appreciate it! here in south africa our dentistry is not that expensive. We have massively qualified cosmetic dentists with all the latest gizmos and they indeed are a little expensive but i don't think any tooth costs near $3 000. Crikey Moses. I was quoted R33 000 for 10 zirconium porcelain crowns - that's around $4 000 for the total 10 - all with root canal treatments. But then I shouldn't get ahead of myself - all these weird and wonderful things we have in this country pale in comparison to the bloodthirsty, barbaric crime rate currently over here. Just the od murder will appear in the news there are just tooo many everyday - and horrendously cruel events. Especially on farms and and smallholdings. We live on a smallholding and we have security everywhere even our passages are sealed off with thick steel doors... so sorry I digress. I'll show your letter to my dentist.
Cheers and a goodly 2010 to you!

Last edited by Magarietha; 01-10-2010 at 03:00 PM.

Closed Thread