It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
(female)

coolcat5 HB User
Unexplained gum pain, please help...?

Hello, I have had gum pain all round the top right side of my mouth and partly round the left for 2 months.(only on the back side of teeth). it is worse in a couple of spots inbetween teeth but 2 dentists can see absolutely nothing wrong. healthy gums and teeth. throat has been red for a few weeks and can defo taste blood from somewhere occasionally. apart from my gum feeling a bit 'rough' in places on my palate i can't see anything to cause the pain.
anyone had anything similar cos it's driving me mad!

p.s. do have an ongoing root canal on the left side but unlikely to be connected.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Unexplained gum pain, please help...?

Hi,
Is it possible that you are clenching or grinding your teeth at night? That can make your teeth and gums ache tremendously!
With having an ongoing root canal treatment you may be clenching and not realizing it.
Try becoming more aware if you are.

Also, there are times when the teeth ache from the dentin and enamel having been thinned over time and the gums receding. When this happens the nerve becomes more exposed, fluid travels through tubules from the dentin surface to the nerve and OW! It hurts. That's where toothpaste for sensitive teeth comes in. The potassium nitrate in the toothpaste helps to desensitize the nerve and gradually plug up the tubules.
It takes about 10 days to two weeks to work, but once the tubules are filled, the pain sensation should go away dramatically.
You have to always use the toothpaste though.

This is the only thing that has worked for me. I hope it helps you some.

My very best to you,
Gellia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
(female)

coolcat5 HB User

thanks for your answer. yes i have definately been clenching my teeth and although the teeth don't ache too much as they used to my gums are still painful every day in certain spots mostly on the top jaw and i can click several of my teeth with my tongue which is quite disturbing although they don't move when i use my fingers.
have been using enamel care toothpaste and more recently sensodyne and have ordered a biofeedback headband as a last effort to help myself stop doing this.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

I think the Sensodyne toothpaste will help. I know exactly what you mean by "clicking", too. I think you may have a pocket between your tooth and your gums.
This helps to expose the root and nerve more and also allows that sensation that the tooth "clicks" but it's not loose.

Mine is the same way. I feel like my gum is irritated and sore and the pain travels to my ear and then further down to my chin. It tinges and feels like it "pulls" (another strange sensation), too.

I have had my teeth xrayed twice and checked every three months for the past year. Nothing.
Still, I know what I feel and I feel pain.

The only thing that has helped at all so far is the toothpaste for sensitive teeth. Be sure you get one with potassium nitrate in it. That's the stuff that calms the nerve. I use Colgate cause I like the taste.
It takes about two weeks, but it did help mine. Rub it directly on your gums during the day. Rub it on and leave it at night. That's what I do.

I sure hope it helps yours!

Best to you,
Gellia
PS. You have to keep that area very, very clean. Flossing is imperative.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
(female)

coolcat5 HB User

it's odd though, cos it won't hurt in a certain place for a few days then it will come back. so also wondering whether it might be neurological. and i have a horrible rash on my face and i never ever get acne. going to see what the doctor says 2moro in the vain hope he might be able to help.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good luck! Let us know how you do and what the dr. says.

Best to you,
G

Old 11-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
(female)

coolcat5 HB User

doctor thinks it all due to stress about my other work and now about the "pain" in my gums. got some horrible gel to put on my gums but don't think it will do a thing. looking 4ward to getting root canal completed next week then can relax a bit before getting the crown. :-)

Old 11-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

It's easy to say, "Relax!" I do know that while I was having dental work done, my mouth hurt so badly my dentists (I had three) would all sort of look away when I mentioned it. I do think I was clenching at night. They never mentioned a neurologist.

When I had the work finished, I found I was no longer clenching like a pit bull at night, though. I had been working hard at relaxing my jaw during the day and esp before sleep at night. Gradually the pain did go away. I also used a toothpaste for sensitive teeth at least twice a day.

My gum pain comes and goes. Rice in a sock that has been in the freezer on the side of my face does give me some relief for a few hours. It's just the right temp. for about 20mins. And, I take ibuprofen. It doesn't take it away but makes it tolerable.

I hope you find some relief for your pain.
Gellia

Old 04-25-2010, 04:04 AM   #9
(female)

Tracey R HB User

Hi, I was wondering how you are getting on with your gum pain now? I think I have something similar going on myself and would be interested to know how you are doing? I won't bore you with my story but I will be posting it on this board if you want to have a read.

Thanks
Tracey

Old 04-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
(female)

coolcat5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey R View Post
Hi, I was wondering how you are getting on with your gum pain now? I think I have something similar going on myself and would be interested to know how you are doing? I won't bore you with my story but I will be posting it on this board if you want to have a read.

Thanks
Tracey
Hi,
I am significantly better than i was, definately think half my trouble was stress. i have a pretty good fitted nite guard now for top teeth so although they still ache every morning from clenching it tends to ease off quite fast. hate wearing it though.
I also use bio repair toothpaste which seems to work, sensodyne didn't with me for some reason...don't know how i got rid of the actual gum pain, it just faded slowly over a maatter of months and only seems to be bad when i get stressed out. guess the guard is helping a lot. hope that is helpful

Closed Thread