It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009, 03:17 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User
wisdom tooth - no stitches?

I went to my dentist who suggested removing my upper left wisdom tooth under just a local anaesthetic (bare in mind I have never had such a procedure done while awake and am quite nervous of this and also of having to hold my mouth open for a long period of time) and said that he does not stitch it afterwards and just leaves a hole.

Is this usual practice or should I go somewhere else that will stitch it up after?

Old 11-20-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: wisdom tooth - no stitches?

I didn't have any of mine stitched up as they came out very easily. no need to do so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
(male)

matt3507 HB User

Niad,
I had both upper wisdoms and both lower wisdoms out without stitches. Uppers were out very fast and painless. You may want to ask for some pain killers just in case you need them when the local wears off. Good luck, you should be fine.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:40 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User

Hi, Titchou and matt3507

Thanks both for your replies.

Is it usual practice for a dentist to do them rather than an oral surgeon? Was just wondering as he is a normal dentist so was wondering if he would be experienced in wisdom tooth extraction.

Also, will it bleed more afterwards by being left open as I had my lower two removed by a proper oral surgeon and stitched up and they never bled, only a bit once I had woken up from the anaesthetic?

And will they heal neatly even left open or will they heal ragged or anything?

Just was wondering as I am kind of hesitant on whether to let this normal dentist do it or an oral surgeon.

Would there be more risk of things going wrong if I did go with just this noral dentist?

Sorry for all the questions.

Just want to make sure I make the best decision possible.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Niad

Old 11-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
(male)

matt3507 HB User

If your uppers are not impacted (growing on their side) then a dentist will simply numb you up well and take some pliers and out they come. The open hole will heal. My dentist recommended that I rinse frequently (3-4 times a day) with warm salt water. 1 heaping teaspoon salt with one large glass of luke warm water. Do not swallow it.

I had no bleeding or stitches with my uppers.

I had an oral surgeon do my lowers because they were impacted. Different story.

Any more questions just ask away!

Old 11-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

My regular dentist removed mine - none impacted. All just popped out like any other tooth. I had it done late afternoon and they put gauze packing on them that i had to keep clamped down for a while. But all bleeding stopped that evening. Only novacaine. It was no big deal. Didn't go to work the next day because I didn't know what to expect but it was fine. Only took one pain pill that evening when the deadening started to wear off. That was it. Very simple - like pulling any other tooth.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User

Hi, matt3507 and Titchou

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am not sure if it is impacted or not as he has not taken an x-ray and I do not think he intends to so am not sure how he knows whether or not it is impacted. That is a little what concerns me as when I had my two lower ones out by an actual oral surgeon, he x-rayed it first before removing it in surgery. How would my dentist know if it is impacted or not without x-raying it before removing it?

Good to hear you had no bleeding even without stitches as that was something I was definitely concerned about as when I had a tooth out (normal one) the bleeding never stopped and I had to go to accident and emergency and in the end got it stitched and it immediately stopped bleeding. Why would that one have bled so much? Am I prone to bleeding if not stitched up? Perhaps I would be wise to get this stitched up to avoid such a problem occuring again?

Will food get stuck in it as there will be a huge gaping hole and will it be more prone to getting dry socket?

How long did you have to keep the gauze packing in for as I do not think I would be able to hold gauze in the area he plans on removing this tooth from as it is so far back and will make me gag? Isn't it easier just to stitch it up and forget the gauze as it is just so far back that packing gauze that far back would be very difficult? I cannot even see that far back.

Many thanks for your replies and sorry for all these questions.

Kind regards

Niad

Old 11-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niad View Post
I am not sure if it is impacted or not as he has not taken an x-ray and I do not think he intends to so am not sure how he knows whether or not it is impacted.
Have they erupted in an exposed position where they can be seen like other teeth? Also, what is the reason that removal is recommended?

Upper wisdom teeth are less likely to be wedged against other teeth such that they require surgical extraction, unlike lower wisdom teeth that may be sideways or something and wedged against the next tooth so that an oral surgeon needs to cut it into pieces to remove. However, it is possible for the roots of an upper wisdom tooth to be extending into your sinus, which can cause complications during removal (X-rays may be used to tell if this is the case).

Old 11-24-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User

Hi, tjlhb

Thanks for your reply.

I cannot tell myself as I cannot see that far back but the dentist said that it was three quarters of the way through so I would assume it is visible but he told me to wait six months before removing it as it is not fully out yet. Whether it fully erupts I do not know.

Not sure I really need to wait six months as that seems a little excessively long to me to be waiting.

I would assume reason for removal is due to it causing me pain in my jaw and stiffness where it locks. He was not specific or said anything to do with reasons for why he was going to remove it.

That is what I was concerned about (sinuses and roots) as I suffer with my sinuses anyway and really do not want him to make me worse or give me something else. I am not happy that he does not choose to x-ray it as how would he know if the roots could be extending into the sinuses as he is only human after all? He does not have x-ray vision.

Should I demand he sends me to an actual oral surgeon as they always x-ray their patients before embarking on removal?

Many thanks

Kind regards

Niad

Closed Thread