It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
(female)

cindylou2 HB User
Question Teeth hurting - Dentist said "no reason why"...anyone have any information?

I'll soon be 50 years old. I have a bottom partial that latches onto my back molars and I have 6 bottom teeth in front.

For the past 2 weeks my teeth have been aching. I went to see my dentist last week, when one of my front teeth continued to hurt, I was scared it was cracked.

He did a complete exam, and 2 x-rays and there were no chips, cracks, cavities, decay or bone loss.

There's no reason I should be having a tooth ache and my dentist felt certain that the pain was not from my partial. (I've had it for about 5 years)

A few days later, ALL 6 of my front teeth started hurting as well as my 2 back molars.

Eating / drinking something sweet, cold or hot...or when I brush my teeth, I do not feel any increased pain or sensitivity.

But when the do hurt, during the day, it is a dull ache, vairies at times to a few sharp pains, not in the gums, but the teeth. On a scale from 1 - 10 (with 10 being the worse) it is about a 2.

It's odd that when I eat, drink and brush my teeth they do not hurt at all and the dentist states "your teeth look great, no flaws or reasons for pain"

Anyone with advice, please post a reply. It's really starting to be annoying and I don't know what to do since the Dentist finds no problems.

Thank you!

Last edited by cindylou2; 12-02-2009 at 03:24 PM.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Teeth hurting - Dentist said "no reason why"...anyone have any information?

Hi,

I'm not sure this will help you, but I have sensitive teeth and gums, too. Mine started with the use of a partial.

Are you forming gumline pockets or gum recession? Many times when the gum recedes or we form periodontal pockets, it allows fluids to reach the root of the tooth. As the dentin thins over time and from brushing, it allows the fluid to pass through small tubules in the dentin and reach the nerve. This hurts. It can make the gums feel swollen and ache.

The ONLY thing I have found that provided any relief for me was Sensodyne toothpaste. The active ingredient in it will plug up the tubules (that's why it can take two weeks to work!) and fluids no longer can reach the nerve.

It may be worth a try. It's really a cheap fix if it works.

GOOD LUCK!
My best to you,
Gellia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

If your grind or clench your teeth during sleep, this kind of pain can result. I do and have 2 crowns that just act up all the time as a result. You could try a mouth guard and see if it helps (you can buy them OTC)

Old 12-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
(female)

cindylou2 HB User

Thank you so much for the replies!

YES! I did buy the Sensodyne toothpaste a few days ago and have noticed a little change in just a past few days. I really do think that it may be the same problem as you have experienced.

Also - I wondered about the teeth grinding...I've never clinched my teeth before, but I noticed the other day, as I was waiting in line at the store, I was gritting my teeth! My partial does cause some pressure on the clasps and seems like thats where lots of my pain is from --those areas mostly. The Sensodyne toothpaste has helped some (with the sensitive teeth and gums) now, I need to relax and stop gritting my teeth!!!

Thank you for your replies!!

Old 12-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
(female)

coolcat5 HB User

I have the same problem, my teeth and gums ache a lot especially round the top front ones but dentist can't find anything wrong. It started during a period of stress i was having in August (about my teeth ironically) and has never cleared up.
I thought i was clenching my teeth but i'm pretty sure i've massively reduced that now as my back teeth don't ache anymore only the front ones. It could also be neurological, i.e. nerve pain, or TMJ as the muscles in the face can sometime send pain signals that feels like a toothache

Old 12-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

Trigger points in the tmj muscles can cause pain that mimics toothache or teeth sensitivity. In the upper teeth it can come from the temporalis muscle. The masseter muscle can cause symptoms in the upper or lower teeth, depending on the location of the trigger point(s) within the muscle. The digrastic muscle can affect the four lower front teeth.

Last edited by esker; 12-16-2009 at 03:43 PM.

Closed Thread