It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
(female)

bridget1983 HB User
improperly taken x-rays?

Hi,

Thanks in advance for any opinions and advice.

Here's my situation: Two weeks ago I went to a dentist where I got a set of full mouth x-rays done. They also wanted to do a cleaning, but that is another story...

The x-ray machine they used was one with a very malleable arm, so that it could be adjusted to just about any direction or angle. When the hygenist would move the camera into place however, she didn't take the time to steady it, and the camera was visibly shaking each time she took a picture. She had to re-do them numerous times, and when the dentist came to look, the dentist specifically mentioned the 'overlap' of the teeth on the image (caused my the camera's movement) and said that they would have to take more later as they started to work.

The dentist struggled to decide how severe some of my cavities were, because she just couldn't 'see' from the x-rays if they were small or large.

She did give me a treatment plan, which I found to be filled with charges that I feel were a little high (she was billing my ins $500 for scraping - of which I would have to pay 125 out of pocket because she was charging over the max that my ins would pay, $100 for 'deep cleaning,' $30 for flouride treatment, and she also recommended that I get some antibiotic injections in my gums at 60 bucks a pop).

Well, needless to say, I didn't want to continue seeing her. However, my ins only pays for one set of full mouth x-rays every five years. So, now I have to pay $140 when I go to a new dentist for the same x-rays...

I called my ins to find out if I have any recourse for (what I feel is) improperly rendered work, and they said that I should go back to the dentist, explain the situation and my concerns, and ask for the x-rays to be retaken free of charge.

I have called the dentist, and after the expected run around (with all of the receptionists and hygenists telling me that they have looked at the x-rays and they didn't see any problems... even my untrained eye could see that it looked like I had two rows of teeth in the x-rays) they are tentatively agreeing to take more.

I know that I will then probably have to pay to get them to release the x-rays to me... will that probably $25-50? At least it will be better than 140.

Am I crazy? Are they? Has anyone had a situation like this???

Thanks for ANY AND ALL OPINIONS!!!

-Bridget

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User
Re: improperly taken x-rays?

Bridget, you are NOT crazy!!
You are entitled as a patient to a full set of x-rays that are perfectly readable by ANY dentist. You certainly did not get that. Your dental office should have immediately told you that they would retake those x-rays, and for free, too !!
If it were me I would request a copy of the x-rays (if they make you pay for duplicates they are within their rights...) and submit them to your insurance company. They have trained staff there who will easily determine whether or not the x-rays are readable.
Sue

Old 06-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

laray721 HB User

And what if you get another set of x-rays that are not right. I would not want all that radiation going thru me again & again. Obviously there ALL incompetent to do any work in or out of your mouth. Run as fast as you can. As far as I can understand, you have no x-rays to speak of for them to submit to your insurance. Period. End of story. They were useless. Its a no brainer. If they submit a charge to your insurance company, then its fraud. And you should make that very clear to them. And if you have a problem with your insurance company, then they should request a copy of them to determine if there readable. And I would NOT give them a cent for any copies. People don't open there mouths loud enough to put these kind of people in there place. And it seems with the charges she quoted you she wants to get rich quick. Laray

Old 06-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
(female)

armywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB User

You have ever right to not only request new ones to be taken. But I think I would suggest someone that has a little bit more experience taking the X-Rays.

I know that the dentist that I go to offers first time patients free x-rays. But then they will still go and put the claim in for the xrays to the insurance company. I can go on and on with things I think my dentist is doing wrong.

If I were you I would get your xrays and just find a new dentist.

Good Luck.

Closed Thread