It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 05:54 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Florida HB User
Please someone answer....root canal healing problems

Ok so I've had 2 root canals, 1 went great, but the other one won't heal. I've had a CT scan of my jaw joints for tmj and he also looked at my tooth, said everything was ok EXCEPT that the tooth is either very close to my sinuses or actually IN my sinuses. Anyhow the tooth aches when lying down OR when chewing something thats not super soft. My dentist said he is unsure that it will ever feel normal again Should I just have it pulled? If I do have it pulled and it's in my sinuses isn't that a problem?
This is causing me great stress, especially because I am so afraid of getting some horrible infection in my jaw or something. Someone please advise. Thanks, Kristen

Old 03-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
(female)

nonan47 HB Usernonan47 HB User
Re: Please someone answer....root canal healing problems

I was really looking for an answer myself. This is the first time I came in here. I have been trying to register for two days and it just seemed unclear of how to do that. Your question was the one I wanted the answer to myself, but I see no responses to your question. I have scheduled Monday to have my endodontis (however it is pronouced let alone spelled) evaluate my tooth with the same problem. My general dentists thinks it is a cracked root in which nothing can be done for it. He says probably when I bite on something too hard the crack opens pinching some skin in it down there thus creating another absess. Seems to me that a cement could be blown down the roots to seal off the crack that is kind of what I was hoping I could find on the internet if I asked long enough. Seems a shame to lose this moler over this. If you have any ideas please respond. Thanks, Nonan47

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2010, 03:45 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Florida HB User

Nonan47 sorry you have problems. If the roots are cracked their really is nothing they can do, I know it's stinky. For me the longer I go on the problem seems to be a combo of tmj and the tooth in my sinuses. I am going for an evaluation by an oral surgeon next monday though to see what he thinks. If I decide to keep the tooth I will make sure to have xrays every 6 months to be .
Do you have a temp crown or the final crown? The final crown might help because it makes the tooth more stable. What is your pain like? My pain is only when lying down or when my jaw muscles are acting up, other than those times the tooth feels numb and fine, although I still can't chew super hard things on it. Let me know what your dentist says, good luck. Florida

Old 03-19-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
(female)

Hi Florida,
Well the tooth acts somewhat like yours. I mostly have serious pain at night and very caucious of chewing hard on it. I am still on antibiotics, my dentist let me get a Z pack. I have a permanent crown that the endodontist did the root canal through. I keep trying to figure out what tmj means. Everyone is using that term. We may not be even talking about the same thing, lol.
I had no problems when I had the tooth behind 30, on 31, a root canal done a couple of months ago, but I wasn't even sure at that time that 31 was the problem. The endodontist said it was so I had the root canal done. He did a temporary and a month later I went back to my dentist and had him do the permanent filling to the crown. Thats when my problems began. He must have worked an hour trying to get the crown smoothed down, he filled in the crown on 30 because he said some surface had chipped off. Well it seemed like when I left that I still had some bump sitting up on 30 and within 3 weeks the whole side of my face was back to where I began before the root canal on 31. So I had the dentist smooth it off again last Monday and he gave me the Z pack. If by Monday the tooth feels as good as it does right now I may not go have it evaluated. It is still tender but I don't have the pain and it could (hopefully) have just been the way the dentist did not finish smoothing off 30.
Let me know what happens for you on Monday and I'll let you know what happens with me too.
Thanks,
Nonan47

Old 03-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
(female)

Florida,
Well I got pneumonia on Friday, it seems and was not able to get my answer back to you. I risked it and did not make my Monday appointment. The dentists must have been wrong as the tooth is behaving well right now. It must have just needed that extra smoothing down. I am not entirely sure as these things can flair up unexpectedly and I could be back to horrific pain in no time. Did you go for your appointment? What was the evaluation? Thanks

Old 03-26-2010, 04:23 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Florida HB User

Hey Nonan47,
Funny because I didn't make my appt. with the oral surgeon either. I got sick too...LOL, not with pneumonia though, I hope you recover quickly.
I did get my root canal finished though and basically he said yeah I could get it checked out by the oral surgeon but everything he is seeing on the xrays says the tooth looks great. My tooth is NOT throbbing, it's just sensitive and aches when I lay down or chew to much on it. I think I will try and get the permanent crown put on and just wait and see. I'm sure I will have to have it pulled at some point but I'm going to try and keep it as long as I can and have it xrayed every few months.
It's stinky because my tooth is text book perfect. I'm wondering if anyone else has a long term sensitive root canal tooth. Sure wish more people would answer.
Post an update when you can. Florida

Old 03-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #7
(female)

Funny how we both missed our appointments. Sounds like your in good shape right now. I would really hold off a bit on having the crown done, myself. Reason being if the tooth is a bit sensitive it is still a bit vulnerable and may need some more time to heal.
I am still not convinced about my #30. It mostly is doing well but once in a while it acts up a little. Now this tooth had the crown done years ago and the problem began when the dentist did not finish the job of smoothing off the surface. I get a little angry because I asked him to do some more smoothing and he gave me this big song and dance how I needed to see the endodontist again for evaluation of the tooth. Finally after just about begging he said he would smooth it a little again.
Just like my general practicioner that last July refused to give me a pneumonia vaccination because I did not need one. I would like to ask her who is going to pay my hospital bills and medicine bills now.
Hope all goes well, keep me posted.
Nonan47

Closed Thread