It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
(female)

Tee212 HB User
Knocked two front teeth out...knocked two teeth loose...need 4 root canals

I knocked my two front teeth completely out after a nasty fall. Each tooth that was on the side of each front tooth was knocked loose as well.

I was able to go to the ER. They called a dentist and he was able to reimplant my front two teeth and he splinted them afterwards. It actually seems like he put my teeth in straighter than what they were in before (it's not like I had a horribly crooked smile before this, but it wasn't perfect by any means).

Two days later, I went to the dentist. He pushed up on all four front teeth into my gums (the two that were avulsed and the two that were knocked loose) and did a cold test on them. It hurt REALLY bad when it pushed up on my teeth and I still felt the cold when he did that test on them. He told me that he thought I'd need four root canals done on those teeth. He won't know what is really in store me for me until I go back in two weeks.

I am really freaked out. I was expecting root canals on maybe the two teeth that were knocked out, but not on the other two teeth that were just knocked loose.

Does this at least mean that the dentist thinks I have a good chance of retaining my teeth? They still feel a little loose, but not that bad considering it happened just four days ago. I also don't feel too much pain - just discomfort more than anything...throbbing every now and then.

Also, what will my teeth look like after the root canals? I wouldn't be so worried about this if it wasn't the front four teeth - I don't want to walk around snaggle-toothed.

Will he give me temporary filling or crown so I won't look horrible after the root canal?

I'm really nervous. I've never hurt myself in any way before, so this is hard for me to handle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2010, 04:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Knocked two front teeth out...knocked two teeth loose...need 4 root canals

Hi,
Root canals in the front teeth are done from the back so it doesn't show. They are the easiest teeth to root canal.

I can really feel for you as I had to have my four front teeth removed and replaced with implants. It's very traumatic when you even THINK about loosing them or having something go wrong.

I think your dentist is just being upfront with you when he says you "may" need root canals. You also may not. It can take quite some time for teeth to settle down after such a traumatic injury. Don't give up hope that they still may be fine.

If they don't react to heat or sweet foods, that's good. Cold is a good indicator of a problem but most teeth react to cold in some way. It's only if the pain lingers for a longer length of time that a RCT indicated.

Just hang in there and give it some time. RCT isn't the worse thing in the world and you will still have your own teeth there. Remember it's easy on the front teeth. Like having a filling. Worst part is the Novocaine shots.

Should all else fail, I really do recommend implants. I now have four and couldn't be happier. I also will not go dancing through plate glass doors anymore!

Best to you and let us know how it goes! I bet you'll be fine.
Gellia

Old 03-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
(female)

Tee212 HB User

Thank you for your response, Gellia.

My worst fear is having four root canals done, going into a financial hole, and then STILL having to have them extracted. Then if that happens, I'll have to get implants and go deeper into the $$$$$ hole.

What will my teeth look like after he gets done with the root canal? Even if they go in through the back, it still seems like I'll come out of the room looking like a toothless person.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

40 yrs ago I knocked out one of my upper 4 teeth and loosened the other 3 - the OS reinserted the one tooth and then wired all 4 teeth together for several months. They all stabilized but the one that had to be reinserted turned grey and needed a root canal. Root canals in and of themselves do not destroy the outer enamel or structure of the tooth - the tooth is drilled from either the surface for molars (much like how cavities are done) or from the back of the tooth for anterior (front) teeth. Afterwards a filling is then put in the hole to seal the tooth and prevent food or debris from entering it - white fillings are good for this. Some dentists recommend teeth with root canals be crowned b/c of their tendecy to become brittle and crack over time - but my dentist at the time suggested we just bleach the tooth from the inside and not crown it - which is what we did - it looked very similar in color to the other teeth although all 4 of mine ended up more crooked after the accident.

I would just baby your front teeth for several months - don't bite into anything for a while or use them to thread needles, etc. This is one of those things you may just have to wait and see what develops.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi Again,

Thelma's right on! They would use a white filling and you won't even know the teeth had a root canal done. There's a really good chance that your teeth will be fine and they look great, too. You may need the root canals done but your dentist will have a pretty good idea if they will hold or not. If you can save your teeth, do so.

Whatever you do,....DON'T wiggle your teeth. Do like Thelma says and really baby them for awhile. Time is your friend here. Your teeth have to reintegrate into the bone and wiggling them will create a space between the bone and the root. You don't want that.

When I got my implants, they removed the teeth and just placed the implants in. Sort of like what your dentist just did with your real teeth. It took nine long months (you'd think it was a baby!!) before I was ready for my crowns. Give your teeth a chance. It could take months before you know what the end result will be.

In the meantime, you just can't go prying bottle caps off bottles with your teeth! LOLOL You won't be toothless. Even after my teeth were out and the implants placed I never once was without teeth.

Hang in there and please let us know how things go. My best to you!
Gellia

Old 03-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
(female)

Tee212 HB User

Three of my teeth haven't been bothering me much (including the two avulsed ones). They feel like they're getting tighter as far as I can tell.

But the one that wasn't knocked out, but was knocked loose and pushed back, has become really sensitive to cold because the roots of it have become exposed. Not to mention it's really, really disgusting looking (the root showing that is...none of the teeth have darkened in any way so far). Should I just wait it out or should I call my dentist to schedule a sooner appointment?

This is so frustrating. I never would've thought that I'd have more pain and problems from the tooth that wasn't even knocked completely out.

Last edited by Tee212; 03-20-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
(female)

Tip2010 HB User

Hey everyone, just wanted to update you on the situation.

I got in there and they did a cleaning for me before they did the root canals. I was pleasantly surprised when they said I still had no cavities...never had one in my life thus far...hope it stays that way.

They then did root canals on the two avulsed teeth and said they still wanted me to keep my splint on for two more weeks because there was still a bit of mobility. But I feel better because if they would've done all this stuff (cleaning, root canals) two weeks ago, I don't think my knocked out teeth could've taken it...they probably would've popped right back out. So I guess it seems as if the dentist thinks they can save my teeth.

They didn't say anything about root canals on the two side teeth, so maybe I won't have to have them done.

I have to go back in two weeks for, I'm assuming, the temporary crowns. And then back again at the end of April for perhaps the permanent ones. I can't wait for the crowns and be back to my normal self with a big smile again (because on top of knocking them completely out, they also got a bit of chip on the bottom of them).

Is the worst part over for me now? I sure hope so.

Last edited by Tip2010; 03-30-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:24 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User

It often happens that teeth that are reimplanted are rejected by the body and become resorbed. You have received good advice so far, but ask the dentist about the prognosis before spending a lot.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
(female)

baohuya72 HB User

Hi Tip2010,

I was wondering if you could share updates on how you are doing. I found your post when I was Googling for information on root canals for front teeth.

I share your experience. Last January, when I was living in New York, I had a terrible fall walking (well, rushing) home from work carrying too many bags. I tripped on a raised piece of pavement and smashed my front teeth. I chipped off one tooth, and the other two were pushed back. Fortunately the hospital I ended up at had a dental clinic and they were able to realign my teeth. Like you, they put temporary braces on my teeth.

I wound up having one root canal and crown on the tooth that was chipped off.

The other two teeth that sustained injury are now dead, but the endodontists I went to (went to a couple to get second opinions) said that they prefer not to perform root canals unless x-rays show an infection. So I have been in limbo for about a year and half now with a mild chronic pain waiting to see what will happen. I have been doing a lot of research and there is definitely split opinion on whether or not root canals should be performed as a preventative measure. When the teeth are dead, it is not a matter of 'if' the teeth will become infected, but a matter of 'when'. I hate living with two little time bombs in my mouth! And dental work is so expensive as well.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience with you and tell you you were not alone! Aside from the dental work, the experience was pretty traumatic psychologically for me I think. Definitely a wake up call to live your life mindfully and pay attention to where you step!!!

Last edited by baohuya72; 07-12-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
(female)

Tip2010 HB User

Hey baohuya72,

Sorry it's taken me awhile to get back to you. I've been having computer problems.

To update you on my situation, I don't believe I could have asked for a better outcome. The two front teeth that got completely knocked out seem to be doing great. They don't feel loose and the root canals that were performed on them seemed to have done the trick. One of them feels a little weird though...the other one feels like nothing ever happened to it at all. My endo said that sometimes a tooth will never feel the same after a root canal. It doesn't hurt or anything like that though...it just feels a little different, but he said that is to be expected. I haven't had to get anything else done on the other two teeth that were affected by my fall.

I can tell you that I will never, EVER bite down on anything ever again. I'm quite frankly scared to. I don't want to hurt the two teeth that have had root canals and I don't want to break or chip them considering they didn't put crowns on them, but they haven't turned colors or anything. I guess you could say that I baby them, but after what they've been through, I have no problem cutting up my food instead of biting down on it.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck. This was definitely the most traumatic thing that has happened to me so far in my life. I went through a lot, but I'm very grateful for how things have turned out thus far.

Last edited by Tip2010; 08-02-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Tip2010,
I'm really glad to hear you had a successful result.
Thanks for coming back and sharing.

My very best to you,
Gellia

Closed Thread