It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

nanicon07 HB User
Severe dental problems - Please help

Hi, I'm Australian and I'm not sure if you guys can help me or not, but it's worth a try right??

I've had a very sordid history when it comes to my teeth. When I was younger I lived in a small town and the only dentist was the free one that came around every 6 months and sometimes you had to pay him to get a spot. Dodgy I know.

Anyway, I was told I was meant to get a dental plate to help prevent my teeth from over crowding but because the dentist only came every 6 months he never managed to get around to it. As I grew older my teeth over crowded as predicted, until it got to the point where my teeth don't meet or severely overlap.

In high school a dentist removed four teeth to try and stop them from crowding forward, but now they're just as bad. When I was pregnant my youngest my back teeth started to basically turn to mush and rotted from the inside out. I could have a whole tooth before dinner and an hour later the tooth would be completely gone from the gum line up. And don't get me started on the pain, I can't sleep without a codiene based painkiller.

What I'm basically asking is there any way to save the remaining teeth that I have without paying an arm and a leg?? Or am I doomed to be doping myself up nightly??

Old 04-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User
Re: Severe dental problems - Please help

I don't know about Australia, but in the US, dental care is so expensive!!! That's why the best thing to do is try to care for your teeth for the sake of your pockets!

You have to see a dentist to see if the teeth are even able to be saved. There is only so much a dentist can do to prevent a decaying tooth from falling out (if it is in the condition you described). In the US, any of that would be expensive and there is still no guarenteed that the tooth can be saved 100%. You may still experience discomfort in a near future. You have to try and see a dentist for a consultation and then take it from there. Consultations are generally cheaper and you don't have to act then and there on any procedures. So definitely, start at a consultation so you can get an estimate.

G/L

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
(female)

nanicon07 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Severe dental problems - Please help

Oh trust me, unless you are earning upwards of $80000 a year the cost of seeing a dentist is horrendous here too. They charged my sister $250 to look at my nephew's milk tooth that was stuck in with the adult tooth growing behind it.

I'm hoping that I'm able to do something about it through defence as a spouse, but if not I'm looking at a few weeks of saving up for the initial consult.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

My mother's job charges anywhere from $400 - $800 per extraction!!!! Depends which tooth, whether it is, if it's impacted, if its simple or not, etc. It's always good to be proactive- brush teeth mornings and nights and in between meals, mouth wash, floss, dental visits every 6 months, low on sweets, wines, sodas, anything acidic than can weaken enamel, etc. But you are talking about losing a tooth in the matter of hours on occasions. So you may be way past preventative care . But of course you can still do all these things!

I think a consultation is the best route. That way you can get all your ducks lined up and see what needs to be done. You can explain to the doc that you are looking for the most affordable fix at the moment.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User

Look into the possibility of flying to Singapore for dental care. Board rules prevent me from giving you a website, but a search should give you some leads.
From the fees you give, NZ could be cheaper than Oz, but check first.

Closed Thread