It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
(male)

Plays2win HB User
Leaking Crown - Is a root canal required?

I just received the bad news that I have not one, but two leaking crowns. Just when I thought all my dental problems were over. The dentist said they won't know the extent of the decay until they remove the crown.

Will this require that I get a root canal as the dentist indicated it might, and shouldn't they have seen this with my previous set of ex-rays last year? Btw, I have no discomfort whatsoever. Thank you for your responses.

Last edited by Plays2win; 05-19-2010 at 08:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

dennis90 HB User
Re: Leaking Crown - Is a root canal required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays2win View Post
I just received the bad news that I have not one, but two leaking crowns. Just when I thought all my dental problems were over. The dentist said they won't know the extent of the decay until they remove the crown.

Will this require that I get a root canal as the dentist indicated it might, and shouldn't they have seen this with my previous set of ex-rays last year? Btw, I have no discomfort whatsoever. Thank you for your responses.

Is this a dentist you have seen regularly, or is this a new dentist to you? By "leaking", I'm not sure that the dentist means decayed. You should have this clarified. If there is decay at the margin of the crown(s) on the cheek or tongue side of the crown sometimes it can be removed without taking the crown off. If the decay is in between the teeth there is no way to access the decay without removing the crown and excavating the decay.
It is possible that the decay formed in the last year. But it is sometimes easy to miss decay at the margin of a crown on x-ray unless the angle of the x-ray is just right. Sometimes it just doesn't show, and it's no fault of the dentist.
If however you are not sure you trust this dentist, I would recommend a second opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

dennis90 HB User

Only required if the decay has damaged the pulp of the tooth. Unfortunately there's no way to know beforehand unless the x-ray shows the decay into the pulp or there's evidence of infection at the tip of the root on x-ray. Usually you'll have to have the decay removed to know for sure, and even then sometimes the tooth acts up later even if there is no visible opening into the pulp.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
(male)

Plays2win HB User

I been seeing this dentist for almost three years. I went to this guy because I didn't trust my other dentist who said I had two cavities in my front teeth and the dentist I have now took x-rays and determined the cavities were not present. So far he has been good. His definition of leaking is that there is decay at the point where the tooth surface meets the crown. They showed me the x-ray and there was a very faint dark line but I don't really know what is what since I'm not a pro at reading x-rays. But he said this needs to be done right away. They said they looked at my last x-rays and they told me they can see decay where there wasn't any before.

What about the question as to whether or not I would need a root canals if there is decay under the crown.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

dennis90 HB User

The tooth will only need a root canal if the decay has damaged the pulp. Unfortunately that can only be determined by going in and removing the decay.

Closed Thread