It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Just had my first root canal yesterday. Went better and worse than I expected.

It took two long, uncomfortable hours! My neck hurt. My back hurt. Worst of all I gagged most of the time because of a buildup of phlegm in my throat. I am close to 70 with all kinds of health problems, so I was really reluctant to have this done, especially on a molar. I told him that I had to have the type of novocaine that does not excite the heart.

Adding to the complexity, the root canal had to be done through my existing crown. Also, one of the roots was hooked, so it provided more of a challenge to my Dental Surgeon. He was patient with me, explained exactly what I was going to go through, and any problems that might come up during the root canal.

John Ratt, the Dental Surgeon down here in South Florida, explained that, when they drilled an opening in the existing crown, the crown itself might crack and need to be replaced. He explained that, when they tried to clean out the dead nerve in the hooked root, there was a possibility of penetrating through the root, or getting a small section of his "drill bit" stuck within the root.

I felt that, during the root canal, that this was a very confident and highly skilled dental surgeon. He exhumed confidence, which rested my mind at ease, even though my body was hurting and I had to constantly fight the gagging from the buildup of phlegm in my throat.

After this long, laborious process ended, he explained that, he had to do extra cleaning because of the significant amount of infection within my gums and jaw from the infected roots. He said that I could have pain and discomfort for up to two weeks, but I could possibly not experience any discomfort at all. I guess he was covering all bases.

When I got home, I immediately took two Motrins, and then took two more Motrins six hours later. I also immediately placed an icebag on my jaw.

Well........ this is the next day. I've had absolutely no pain or discomfort from the root canal, which pleases the heck out of me. I do feel a little drained from the experience, but that is to be expected, at my age, and having significant other health problems.

I am overjoyed at the results. He did a great job!

That said....... if I had to go through it again, unless it was a critical tooth for me, I would never do one again, I would just have it pulled. This time it one of my main chewing teeth, and I had to have it fixed. I had no choice. But, if I had to have another root canal, I would certainly go to this same Dental Surgeon.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User
Re: Just had my first root canal yesterday. Went better and worse than I expected.

sounds like it was quite a challenge to both you and your surgeon, but I'm happy to hear that you're feeling so relatively well in such a short amount of time. Wonderful !!

Old 05-26-2010, 05:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Just had my first root canal yesterday. Went better and worse than I expected.

Thanks!

I had the root canal Monday morning. This is Weds morning and I am still without any discomfort. In fact, the gum problems above that tooth are gone.

When it comes to doctors or dentists, it is critical for good outcome and patient well-being to chose good, competent skilled professionals, which of course is not always easy. There are many bad dentists and doctors in practice.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Closed Thread